Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Browser shutdowns (XPPro)

This week I installed SP-1 and all the hotfixes, etc.. While everything went smoothly, now I have a problem with IE 6.028.11 (whatever). On a couple sites I experience some kind of error that just shuts down the browser. IE works fine most of the time, but some sites I have this problem, and I wonder if it has something to do with Java, or Bills fallout with Sun?

I then installed the new Netscape 7 and have a similar problem, but my old Netscape Navigator 4.6 still works fine on these sites.

I'm a bit confused, does anybody have any suggestions or clues?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Browser shutdowns (XPPro)

Give us a link or two, to some of these nonworking sites. I have been running SP1 since betta 1 and have NOT had any problems

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

You've got to go to 2nd levels at www.cbssportsline.com and www.pogo.com (then pick solitair)

thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

At the first one everything works just fine, and at t pogo I get the login screen. What should I be seeing?

New Lounger
    Thanks

With Pogo you have to log in to play so maybe just forget it if you went to cbssportline.com and went several levels with no problem. I guess the problem must be unique to my machine because of some unknown software conflict???????? I've scanned disk, virus scanned, doctored disk, windows scanned, defragged, optimized, rebooted, every thing I can think of and the problem persist, and this baby has been sweet up until this snafu. At these sites my browser just closes, with no other conflict that I'm aware of.

Using Netscape 7 I got an error message: The procedure entry point_JVM_SupportsCX8@0 could not be located in the dynamic link library jvm.dll

Thanks Dave

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You may need to delete the cookies for these two sites and then try again. It also apears that you may need to have the Java machine downloaded again or updated.

Thanks

Go to start, set program access and defaults
    then click custom bullet and the down arrow
    scroll down to choose default virtual machine for Java and click enable access to this program
    then Ok
    This should enable MS Java

Give this a try
    Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Bob: I followed your instructions and thought for sure this would do it, however the change won't keep. It instructs to contact the program vendor (that should be a trick). Thanks though, I think we're on the right track.

Dave: I had a world of fun deleting cookies. It took a while but was an enlightening experience, didn't work though. Probably uninstalling and re-installing will probably be a necessity. Thanks again.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Bob and Dave, I finally found the fix. I had installed a new vm and that still didn't fix it, and the access and default change still wouldn't hold. Sooooo, I opened control panel, opened Java control panel, clicked on browser tab, checked the IE browser, clicked apply. A dialog box opened informing me I was currently using a newer version and asked if I wanted to continue; I clicked yes(more out of frustration). IT WORKED. I check Netscape 7 and still had the problem, so I did the same thing over, selecting the NS 7, and IT WORKS.

Thanks for the help fellas, it's always amazed me how just one little, seemingly insignificant dot or dash or check can make such a big difference. FUN AND GAMES!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Where did you find the "Java Control Panel", I do not have it listed on any of my computers?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Its actually the Java plug-in control panel, located in the xp control panel

Thanks

Checked my control panel & neither do I (have any Java control panel) Were/Are you using MS or Sun's Java version? I would suspect a clash with Netscape V7 browser, but can't be sure of that, since I don't use Netscape. I also was using the Sun version but went back to MS with the SP1 update.
    Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Bob, its Java(tm) Plug-in Control Panel for Java(tm) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition 1.3.1_02
    Default Virtual Machine Version 1.3.1_02-b02 Java Plug-in 1.3.1_02

I'm no wiz on this stuff, but it's in my control panel, and it fixed my problem. I'm assuming I've made this my default VM instead of the MS VM.

I'm not a Netscape user either, but when I encountered this problem I downloaded and installed NS7. It also had the same problem and this Java control panel fixed it too. It was not a problem in NS Navigator 4.6.

I didn't have this problem until SP1, and what caused it I don't know, but mine is fixed now. Maybe someone with an understanding of Java and XPpro SP1 can decifer what caused this problem.

Happy days are here again.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IndyDog--
    When you say you "installed SP1" I know you mean Win XP SP1 the OS SP1. There is a separate IE6 SP1 available at through Windows Update:
    __________________________________________________ _______________

Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
    Successful Tuesday, September 10, 2002 Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (Windows XP)
    Read more... Web site
    This is from the listing at Windows Update for IE6 SP1:
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

[b][i]"Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (SP1) is the most recent version of the Internet Explorer 6 core technologies in Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I did both. I spent 1 1/2 hours with a dsl connection, then hours more doing utilities, scans and defrag. I tend to grab critical fixes and SPs as soon as they're made avalible by MS. Thanks for your imput.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast