Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access security files MDW (97)

What is the Access 2000 equivalent of an Access 97 MDW file? Is it the same or is there a new arrangement for security in Access 2000?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access security files MDW (97)

A2K can use A97 MDW files. Security is basically the same except that workgroup security no longer applies to modules.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, now for my next question!

I never bothered upgrading from Access 2.0 .MDA files and I would like to upgrade to .MDW - do you know of a utility that will do this?

Will .MDA files work with Access 2000?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Generally you can use workgroup files created in an earlier version of Access with A2K, but I would not recommend doing so. There is no utility that I know of that will convert an archaic .MDA workgroup file to an A2K .MDW file. In addition, MS advises against converting workgroup files directly. MSKB Article Q282357 ACC2002: Error Messages When You Convert Workgroup Information (.mdw) File to Access 2002 states in part:
    <hr> You should not convert workgroup information files by using the Convert Database utilities in Access. There are two reasons for this: First, there have been security improvements in Microsoft Jet 4.0 workgroup information files, and to take advantage of these improvements, you must re-create the workgroup information file.

Second, even though workgroup information files are standard Jet database files, they do not contain an Access project storage for forms, reports, macros, and modules. When Access attempts to convert the file, it generates error messages because it cannot locate the Access project storage for these objects.<hr>
    IVO above I would be leery of any "utility" that claimed it could successfully convert a .MDA file to a .MDW. When converting secured applications, the Microsoft Access Security FAQ recommends recreating workgroup file in latest version of Access; de-securing application in older version of Access before converting; then re-secure app in current version using new workgroup file. See the FAQ for full details. In converting several A97 apps to A2K this approach proved most reliable. The A2K User-Level Security Wizard will do a lot of the work for you. Also recommend installing the A2K Security Manager Add-in, download from:

ACC2000: Microsoft Access Security Manager Add-In Available in Download Center

Some other MSKB articles that may be of interest:

ACC2000: Understanding the Role of Workgroup Information Files in Access Security

ACC2000: Overview of How to Secure a Microsoft Access Database

HTH

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks - that's a pretty comprehensive reply!

My only snag is finding the Workgroup ID information which I put in a safe place a few years ago...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am a little confused about one thing - if I recreate my .MDA Workgroup file as an Access 2000 .MDW file, using the original Workgroup ID and re-create all the users using the Personal IDs, will my upgarded databases then automatically assign the correct permissions to all users once the workgroup is pointing to the databases?

What I mean is, does that mean I won't have to go through each database re-assigning permissions to all users?

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

No, you won't have to reassign permissions, as long as you keep the same UserID. The permissions information is stored in each database - the MDW/MDA files only store information about users and groups and the security ID info.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

So could I simply rename my .MDA file extension to .MDW and it would still work? That could be an interim step while I upgrade from Access 97 to Access 2000, and then I could re-create the .MDW file using Access 2000 wrkgadm.exe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I don't think you have to rename the extension - I believe Access 2000 can still work with an MDA file - at least give it a whirl. As a suggestion in terms of setting up workgroup files - we usually use a rememberable security ID so if we need to recreate a file we can. One strategy is to make it the same as the UserID. Another is to use a set of numbers that are easily reproducible. And you should be able to make an MDW file in either Access97 or Access2K.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice - when creating users I make the ID the same. I probably had a very rememberable Workgroup ID when I created it 5 years ago but I have since forgotten it and the file with the information saved has been archived ...somewhere!

Thanks