Star Lounger
    Thanks

Normal.dot corrupts (2000 SR1)

A problem has arisen in that I cannot make any changes which affect Nomal.dot (e.g. add any changes to modules) without causing Word to load with a memory error message. The only way to fix the problem is to reboot the computer and revert to a copy of the previous version of Normal.dot.

Word functions fine if I don't make any changes to Normal.dot.

Is there a recognised way of cleaning up the contents of Normal.dot and restoring its integrity?

Is there an upper limit to the size of Normal.dot by the way. This one is just over 1 megabyte.

Thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Normal.dot corrupts (2000 SR1)

See http://www.standards.com/OhMyWord/Re...gTemplates.htm.

1 MB is way too big to be practical, not too mention slows down loading of Word.
    Normal template should have as little as possible, rest should be in global templates in Startup directory and in templattes attached to each doc,

I have only two modules in my Normal template:

1. Contains the Auto* macros.
    2. Contains a macro that is used by the Auto, and other, macros, but cannot be in a global template because the global templates are not yet loaded when AutoExec runs (a time delay does work in this particular case).

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

To create a clean copy of normal.dot, rename your exsiting copy (with Word closed). Open Word- a new pristine copy or normal.dot will be created.

Then via Tools, Macro, Macros, Organiser to copy Styles, Autotext, Toolbars and Macro Project Items to the new normal.dot.

If there's still problems, repeat the process, only copying one thing at a time, and closing Word.

When you've cleaned it up, your in a position to start trimming things down, as Howard has pointed out.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Unclear from the discussion so far: did the Normal.dot reach that size due to your putting stuff into Normal.dot, or has it just mysteriously bloated? If the former, then moving your custom stuff out of Normal.dot is the best solution; if the latter, the most likely culprit is an add-in that is loading on startup, and which isn't playing nice with your Normal.dot. Do you have any add-ins in your startup directory, and were any of these installed at about the time you started noticing the problem with Normal.dot?

Gary

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Gary. You're spot on here.

While I've learnt a lot from prevous replies I've had and I will be reconsidering the way I organise my templates, the answer was in fact an add-in. In fact the problem, has turned out to be, I'm sorry to say, WOPR itself. Yes I have recently installed it and have only noticed this problem since then.

I attempted to uninstall it from the EXE but this was unsuccessful in that the problem recurred with only one module active. However I removed all of the WOPR templates from startup and that was the end of the problem.

Of course I am very fond of WOPR and so I have installed it again, this time with only one option active, my favourite, the "Look-in" extensions. No problem.

I will progressively add more of the functionality every few days and see which if any module I can identify as causing the problem on my particular machine.

(In answer to your first question the Normal.dot size is "Normal" in that it's been getting bigger as I add more code to it. I am not impressed by the amount of space modules seem to occupy. There are only 10 with an average size of about 5 pages.)

Thanks again to you and all who answered.

Jim.