2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Installing Office on a laptop (2000)

I have now tried at least 6 times (as a network install; as a shared drive install and as a local CD (portable drive)) to install office 2000 on an IBM Thinkpad 760ED. Each time I land up with the install and subsequently the programs crashing with an Illegal Operation error. the following programs crash : MSOHELP.EXE; MSOHTMED.EXE; and OSA9.EXE. I have tried reinstalling the operating system (Windows 98 Rel 2). This install worked fine but not Office. I am wondering if I have a hardware problem. Anybody have any other ideas and how I might go about finding out what the problem is.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Installing Office on a laptop (2000)

How have you been cleaning up the system after EACH failed install?
    If any trace of a failed install is still on the drive, it may cause it to fail again and again.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Is it the install of Office that is failing, or is the failure after the install?

If the former, then you likely have junk left in the Registry that needs to be cleaned out.
    I'm not sure, but MSFT may have an eraser program at their web site for Office 2000. see article Q219423.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

After running an unistall I have been deleting any left over directories and shortcuts. I have not examined the registry to see if there is anything left in that.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

See my reply to the previous post re cleaning up after an uninstall. Re the point of "crash" I am fairly certain it is failing after the install. Specifically the install works absolutely fine up to the re=boot. After that it goes through the process of setting up the registry entries and cleaning up after itself and then just before it completes the loading of Windows (I.e. the desktop is presented) the illegal operation occurs. I did once succeed in getting the install to succeed to the point of only 1 program failing and that was MSOHELP. That time I could actually load Word, Excel etc. but could not do anything very much before it failed in MSOHELP even though I did not actually request help. I have tested the CD's by running an install onto a desktop computer which was successful.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all your help will go through this process asap.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Like Howard said, go to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...US;Q219423& read up on about uninstalling Office.

And then down load, and run the Registry Eraser Utility.
    The Registry Eraser Utility can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q239938 about half way down.

You are going to have these problems until you run Eraser.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.