Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word Window Problem (Word 2000)

I am encountering a strange problem with Word. Sometimes (about half) when I start Word, the window that opens is different from the normal one. First, instaed of my standard blue banner across the top, the banner is grey (as if whan the window is not the picked or active window). Picking the windows does not change the banner.

Second, instead of three boxes in the upper right corner of the window (close, resize, minimize) there is only one box (close). Selecting this box closes the document that is open but does not close the window. When the document closes, that close box also disappears and the only way to terminate the application is to go to File|Exit.

I have tried both the Repair and Reinstall options via Control Panel|Add/Remove|MSOffice and neither cure the problem.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word Window Problem (Word 2000)

Edited to add second paragraph

Hi Jim:
    The settings that you mention aren't set by Word; they are set by right clicking the desktop, choosing Properties, then teh Appearance tab. You will see various settings. The color is set by the Item "Active Title Bar" (and Inactive Title Bar). Take a look at the fonts used (that can affect the boxes). In Win 95, I had the problem where all 3 boxes had a black bar across them. It turned out that I needed to use a different fold--using a bold font caused this. However, this should affect all apps, not just Word. If the problem continues, I'd post the question on the appropriate Windows board.

If this is only happening with Word, I suspect an add-in or AutoExec macro. Does this happen when Word is the only application running? Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to see what's running. You should End Task on everything except systray & Explorer & then start Word.
    Cheers,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The problem is in the Word window only. If I shut down absolutely everything and start Word, I still encounter the problem. I undertsand that this would notmally be a Windows problem but in this case only Word is being affected.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jim:
    Start Word from the command line (Start/Run) & type
    winword.exe /a
    & press <enter>.
    Does that cure the problem? If so, it's either a corrupt normal.dot (which you can rename & restart Word to recreate it) or an add-in. In the latter case, you'd remove everything in the 2 startup folders: one for Word & one for Office. Then add back one at a time until you find the culprit.

Hope this helps.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Running Word from the command line seems to eliminate the problem.

I had received some error messages a while back about Normal.dot so I thought that might be the problem. I renamed it and restarted Word which asked me for my Office CD. Word then started OK but the next times I restarted Word, the problem was still there.

It sounds like it will take a while to go through your other suggestion regarding the startup folders. That will have to wait for a rainy day.
    Thanks,
    JimF

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

After I renamed normal.dot, when I started Word, it gave me a message that the feature if am trying to use is on a CD ROM and it asks for MS Office Pro CD. I did this once thinking that it was just rebuilding normal.dot. But I find that EVERY time I open a new or existing document, Word does this very same thing. It does not indicate what it is looking for but appears to find it and opens the document. If I then remove the CD, it will ask for it again when I open the next document. This is rather annoying as you can imagine. I tried going back to the previous normal.dot (deleted the new one and remaned the old one) but I get the same thing.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

HI Jim:
    Does it do this when you start Word from the command line? If not, looks like your rainy day has come, unfortunately, & you'll have to check out add-ins. I assume that you've already checked out everything with an up-to-date antivirus program.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,

Yes, it does this when I start it from the command line too. I'm not sure which is the easier path, to "check out the add-in programs" (which I am not completely certain how to do) or to completely uninstall and reinstall Office (you can't just uninstall and install Word by itself, can you?).

Jim

Thanks

You're better spending 10 minutes with the add-ins. Re-installing Word probably won't kill them off!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I believe my problem might be even larger. I am finding that message "the feature you are trying to access is on the Office CD" crop up in Outlook (when I tried to open an email with an attachment) and am wondering whether the problem exists throughout Office. Should I consider removing and reinstalling Office? The only thing I hate to loose is my Outlook setup information (accounts, email locations, etc.).

If you agree that this might be a prudent move, any advice on how to go about it, how to retain existing settings, what to backup or move first, etc.?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Jim,
    You may have more than one problem. I would first search for the startup folder for both Word & Office. Take everything out of there. Then start Word.

You said that when you renamed normal.dot, you started getting this message. If so, then deleting your current normal.dot (the one Word created when you renamed the first one) & renaming the old one back to normal.dot should bring you back to where you were. If not, something else is going on. It sounds like you installed part of Office to run from the CD.

When you installed Word, it gave you an options to "run all from my computer", "install on first use", & something like "run from CD". Did you choose to "run all from...computer"?

Or do you have another version of Office also installed?
    Did you have Microsoft Works installed previously?

I don't know your operating system, but if it's Win98, I'd try running the system file checker to check for corrupted files. Start/Run/ & type
    sfc
    <enter>

I am not sure if this article will apply to you, but you might read it.

Thanks

I would start by doing a global find on your C: drive (Start|Search|file or folders), for *.dot. Any .dot file located in a startup folder, rename the extension to .dog. (Keep the find window open.) When you start Word, it should be just Normal.dot and the native functionality. If that works, cool. You can rename the add-ins one at a time, testing for whether the window problems recur.

On the installer issue, there have been many discussions before, and I have nothing new to add.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,

I only have one version of Office installed and don't believe the computer came with Works (if it did I removed it years ago).

I ran SFC and it found one corrupted file RAGENT.dll. When it asked if I wanted to replace it from the original CD, I exited because I have no idea what program (CD) it is associated with.

See my response to jsher2000 for my hopeful resolution to my Office problem.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I found 3 .dot files in startup folders: CodeT013.dot in WordStartup; Ewed.dot and PDFMaker.dot in OfficeStartup. I renamed all three and restarted. All of the Office programs, including Word, appear to be working properly. (Previously I have only renamed Normal.dot which I found in the Templates folder.) The only thing I lost was a customization of the command bars in Word. (small price to pay to get rid of the annoyance)

Thank you for your help.
    Jim

Thanks

Other than PDFMaker.dot, those are all pretty mysterious sounding names. At some point, you'll probably figure out what they did and then you can decide whether to activate them again. Glad to hear it was that simple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast