3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Scheduled Defrag (XP Home)

I am trying to find how to set up disk defragmenter and scan disk to run unattended in the Task Scheduler in XP. If I try to use the task schedule wizard, these programs are not listed in the selection. I would like to schedule these programs to run weekly at night as I do with my W98 computers.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Scheduled Defrag (XP Home)

Well, in Windows XP, Scandisk is no more! It's back to the "old" CHKDSK command and it won't run unattended. In case you're not familiar with that old command, you need to run CHKDSK C: /F from the command prompt in order for it to repair any errors it may find. (Start, Run, Cmd) That command won't run on the boot drive while Windows is running, so you'll get asked for your permission to run it on RESTART. If I'm not mistaken you can't schedule Defragging for unattended mode either. I bought Diskeeper instead, so I'm not sure on that one.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hey Al/Jim--
    You can schedule Chkdsk to run automatically. See Description of Enhanced Chkdsk

Diskeeper, whose lite version is included in Win XP, will run in the background. the Page File, and the Master File Table.Diskeeper Defrags Automatically but Diskeeper Lite that Microsoft makes the XP defragger won't to my knowledge. I have said this before, but I really believe for the benefit that you get from Disk Keeper that I don't think you get from the other home priced defrag options, it's well worth it considering the good housekeeping benfits to the hard drive you use so much and depend on for so much. Disk Keeper defrags continually, in "real time" in the background; it defers to your programs; it may slow you transiently for a few minutes but the trade-off in continual defrag is worth it--particularly if you use applications that fragment more than others, and it can defrag the master file table and the page file while you boot up when you want it to.

defrag

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You may want to look at this post for some ideas. The defragmenter in 2000/XP was not intended for scheduling, and the fact that it's there is nice. NT didn't even have a tool for defragmenting!
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sounds like the simplest solution is to schedule Norton Speed Disk which I already have on the computer.
    THanks,
    JimF