2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Front End/Back End Problems (Access 2k)

I am working on a front end/back end database which will be accessed primarily over a very large network. I keep getting errors when trying to link the tables utilizing the linked table manager. Since my database is heavy with forms and reports I wanted a local copy for each user and a central location to house the data. It appears that it is taking a very long time over the network to access the data and I get errors stating that access cannot find the backend database. This is after I have loaded the entire database on the network computer and split it. I would appreciate some information on the best way to accomplish this. It seems like I am getting this error because access is timing out and locking up while trying to send/receive data.

Oh, you should probably know (if it matters) that the errors are occurring while attempting to set this up through a VPN at home, which is likely resulting in slower connection than I would have at the office.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Re: Front End/Back End Problems (Access 2k)

Interesting. As you are trying to establish a connection from home, odds are you are using PC Anywhere to connect your home computer to the host computer via the VPN. Thus, when you shut down your computer, you lose the link to the host storing the data. Thus, you should be receiving errors that the tables can't be found. (I am not sure how you would re-link them when you restart.)

One question I have is how are you accessing the host through the firewall. Odds are the security system at the host computer encodes/decodes the data as well which will also slow down the system.

Hopefully you are using a cable modem to download your data. If using a 56K line, I would be pulling my hair out while waiting for the data to load.

(We use a VPN to access data via a T1 line and must connect to the data via PC Anywhere each time we wish to connect. Even on the T1 line, the data exchange process can be slow.)

Don't know if I would have any suggestions on this. The VPN should work, however, if your home connection is slow, it may not be worth the hassle. You could try to download the tables to your local computer, but then this just defeats the purpose of the front end / back end.

Good Luck. Please post any solution you have as I would like to see how you made this work.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

Thanks

One last item to check.

Are you actually connecting to the host data via the VPN? Try to ping it from home. We had some difficulty establishing a connection to data via a VPN as you are using the internet to move data and must get through the firewall.

Two things to check regarding the firewall:
    1 - Ensure your home IP Address in in a range that will be permitted to pass through it
    2 - If the firewall is encoding / decoding data, your home machine must be compatible with it or the data will never transer or if transferred, will not be able to be read.

HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Marc,

We've had some experience with databases over a VPN connection trying to put the database front-end on the local workstation, and even at T1 speed the performance is abysmal. What we've found to work better is Windows Terminal Services. In that case all you are doing is painting the local workstation display, and all the work is being done on the server. And of course the front-end can be located on the Terminal Services server.

If you are going to try to do the back-end connection, your best bet is to setup the connection with linked table manager so that you always use the same drive and path for the back-end. That way you don't have to try to set it up on the remote workstation. But you will find that just opening tables is a very slow process. Hope this helps.
    Wendell

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

What errors are you getting when you try to relink using the Linked table manager?
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info, all of you.

It appears that the problem is that Access is timing out, and Access stops responding while trying to connect the front end to the back. I previously have set similar databases up on this same network without splitting the database, and letting the entire database reside on the host computer. While it sometimes was slow making the initial connection, everything seemed to work fine, even over the VPN. I always heard that the best way to set up the database was utilizing the front end/back end scheme in order to allow everything to operate faster. Apparently with VPN involved (even over a Cable connection at home) VPN slows the process down immensely. It looks like I will put everything on the host computer and suffer through the slow initial connection instead of being able to put the front end on each of the user computers and have it run as fast as I thought it probably should.

Actually, today at work, I was able to utilize the database with the front end back end set up that I initially described and it worked fine. However, I have a remote user that will have to access the database through DSL and VPN and this will likely cause his local MS Access to lock up as mine was doing this weekend.

Thanks for all the advice.