4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

System Restore's Power with Reduced Disk Space (WXPP)

If you reduce the disk space with the slider for System Restore, I understand you will get reduced restore points from the dialogue box, and I understand MSHelp/KB recommends 12% is optimal (the right end of the slider). But if you only assign it 4% (826MB) of a full to the gills drive that's going to be fixed for space is that enough to set a Restore Point before you put in a driver or want to set a restore point before a download? I don't have a lot of faith in it to restore my system--I think it's inherently weak and rely on 3rd party backup like Go Back or Restore IT! and most importantly a backup like a Retrospect/Drive Image combo. So what I want to know is can I set a Restore Point with this little space for 19GB of material.

Thanks,

defrag

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: System Restore's Power with Reduced Disk Space (WXPP)

I have mine set at 589 megs and seems to work just fine.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thats good news--I want all the help for recovering I can have--and it's convenient to set a restore point and quick if you are doing a significant install, downloads or updating drivers. Have you ever had to use it to recover from some "major wipeout" at that setting Dave?
    Also, in terms of downloading apps, installing applications, and patches, do you set a restore point every time, or have any rule of thumb on this, turning off NAV, NSW if you have them or your antivirus and your firewall to keep them from interfering or slowing downloads or patches, and if you do turn off a firewall during these type installs do you make a difference between turning off a hardware or a software firewall?

Thanks,

defrag

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

defrag, System restore is not intended to enable recovery from a 'major wipeout'. If you do a google search of support.microsoft.com for 'system restore' you'll get a lot of reading material. Or you can search MS support directly at the support center and get much the same material.

Joe
    Joe