3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

User Authentication in SQL Server

Our networking staff had made some changes on how SQL was authenticating. The SQL server was logging In with "SQLService". We had changed it back to "System".
    The reason why they did this was because they were making adjustments to the Server adding a GB NIC. While troubleshooting on an issue we noticed that we could not connect to Citrix Management Console (CMC). In further investigation we found that the SQL service was not running.

After correcting a few errors we also noticed that SQL services was trying to communicate through the GB NIC which did not have a few Networking parameters. Also, we then changed the SQL service to authenticate using the "system" account.

They then noticed that there was a SQLservice account that was created and was wondering why we were using this account. I was asked to investigate if we need to set our SQL service to authenticate with the SQLservice account again.

I'm a VB programmer that uses SQL Server as a data source, but don't know a whole lot about it. I bought a Dummies book until I can get to a class.

Is the System account the generic SA user? Is there a way to recall a log somewhere to see what user SQLservice has been accessing? The way it was described to me it sounded like this SQLservice account was used to authenticate to all databases within the server, which I

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: User Authentication in SQL Server

I'm still finding my way with Windows networking but I have been strongly advised not to rename an SQL database sever. I only have one installed at this time so have just taken the advice at face value.
    Granville

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: User Authentication in SQL Server

Have you enabled logging for system security events? By default they aren't on, so enabling them and looking through the Event Viewer would probably yield some interesting information.
    -Mark