Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop Refresh Rate (XP Pro/SP1)

This is more of a curiosity for I don't know that it is a problem. I've only recently noticed that every 10 minutes my desktop refreshes, is this normal? What is the purpose of this refresh? Can it be adjusted?

Thanks, John

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Desktop Refresh Rate (XP Pro/SP1)

Hi John--
    Sure the refresh rate can be adjusted at : Rt click desk top>properties>settings tab>advanced button lower right>monitor tab. See Windows XP Refresh Rates for explanation and this thread. Your video card manufacturer and computer maker also have lots on monitor refresh rates, or in some cases your monitor manufacturer if its different from your computer manufacturer.

defrag

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

John, Do you have Sp-1 applied? What is your video card?

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks

defrag, I don't think you and he are talking about the same thing. I believe that he is talking about his screen flashing about redisplaying the icons on the desktop. You are talking about the normal video refresh that shows up as a rolling display, a display with lines, or user headaches.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry--I thought they were the same. I was trying to address his icons flashing, ect. as you said. This site is also probably in the other context: What does optimal refresh rate really mean? How do you distinguish in which vein the term is applied?

defrag

Administrator
    Thanks

defrag, The optimal refresh rate is the one you have mentioned. I described it as the normal video card refresh rate. I think context (and a reasonable swag) is the only way to tell.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry I've not responded to this post sooner, as I said it wasn't a major concern. Thanks defrag for your article links, but I don't think that is what my question is. The refresh rate I am trying to refer to has more to do with a system refresh rate than a monitor refresh rate, its just that it's visible on the monitor. I guess I should have been more specific, unless these are the same. I don't know.
    Thanks for your imput too, Joe.

Administrator
    Thanks

John, I noticed (after I replied) that you have SP-1 applied. There have been some reports of SP-1 replacing NVIDIA drivers with an older version. Have you checked to make sure you have the most recent driver for your video card?

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe---I didn't notice SP1 replacing any drivers. But I did download Invidia's new Beta driver
    Detonator 40 Version 40.41 Beta for XP/2000 which had a different look--not necessarily better. I tried rollback and it wouldn't roll. There is a different driver offered from Win Update, and Dell has a different driver. How do you sort them out--they all say they are for XP and match my video card?

defrag

Administrator
    Thanks

defrag, I've been using that driver at home for a couple weeks without problem. If you want the 'latest and greatest' get the driver from the manufacturer's site (NVIDIA in this case). The OEM (Dell) will sometimes have a modified driver. They may have some special requirement based on their version of the hardware in question. Sometimes they disable functionality to keep the price down. Sometimes functions are left out. The OEM will also do testing of some configurations to make sure the driver works. I believe the Windows update site will only post WHQL drivers (not sure about this though). Typically the WU site is behind in the driver dept.

I think that for the new NVIDIA drivers you must uninstall yourself and then reinstall the older version.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe.
    I've found it confusing with all the driver sources, and as you know there are third party "dream driver" sites, that purport to find the latest, greatest driver for you for money. I suspected what you confirmed about the Dell drivers--I have one now that down't have as much original icon color, yet for anything else visual it looks fine. It actually has more texture in the icons and they may be a little larger, but just not the color I'm used to--and I don't play enough games yet to really notice differences where it would surely show up. There are 42 XP drivers available on the Win Update site right now, and I tried to download the latest and couldn't get it to show up in any of the zip lists once it was "successfully unzipped."
    One of the things that has consistently bothered me is the issue of having to uninstall a driver first. In the case of most of the Turtle Beach Sound Drivers lately, within the install wizard steps is an automatic uninstall. How about with these Nvidia video drivers? Do you need to uninstall the old driver first? I have also found that XP's rollback driver feature so showcased pre-XP launch, doesn't work much of the time.

Thanks again,

defrag

Administrator
    Thanks

defrag, You're welcome. Glad to be of some help. I try to avoid drivers from the WU site unless I have no other recourse. I've been involved with computers for a long time and have never paid for a driver (other than the original cost of the PC). I'd be very wary of any site other the hardware manufacturer for drivers. Many sites post beta or altered drivers that may or may not be good. On the uninstall side, Windows rollback is only as good as the original driver install. If the install routine is not well behaved to begin with th erollback will not work. Nvidia evidentally has not figured out how to do it in one step. They have recommended and continue to recommend an uninstall of older versions and the install of the newer version. I find it wise to keep the prior download of any driver around for a while in case rollback does not work and you have to take more drastic action.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe.
    Just asking for some perspective here. Why is it that there is some degree of hassle sometimes associated with the Windows Installer and the Windows Uninstaller (I understand at times 3rd party programs/apps provide their own installers); installations in general; and that there are a number of manuevers you have to make to remove programs sometimes (reinstalling so you can get a decent uninstall) and that I'm inclined to believe that most programs leave components are all of themselves in the registry or on places on the hard drive. Is it that it's difficult for the OS developers to write code for the installer/uninstaller? This kind ofinformation isn't in most of the XP books--this goes for Add/Remove as well which I assume uses the same Install/Uninstall set up.

Thanks,

defrag

Administrator
    Thanks

defrag, Windows installer is still relatively new compared to others. Not everyone uses it. If you pay close attention to the installs many use Installshield (without the Windows installer interface) and many use the Wise installer. Changing to the Windows installer means learning a new philosophy and techniques. The install routine may have to be re-written to accomodate the MS install rules. I agress that many (if not most) programs leave traces in the registry and hard drive. Writing an installation (which includes uninstall) routine is similar to writing a program. The more complex the program you are trying to install the more complex the install routine usually. This leads to errors and oversights. When you use add/remove to uninstall all that does is start the uniinstall that the program registered with XP at install time. Hope this clears something up.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Indydog--
    Would this tweaker help you adjust your refresh rate? Rage3D?

defrag

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast