Star Lounger
    Thanks

Validation and Link (2002(XP))

I have an e-mail field and need to make a rule for the AAAAA@AAAAAA format. I also want the mail to be a hyperlink in forms and such so you can click on it and have it launch the mail program. is there a way to do that.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Validation and Link (2002(XP))

If you are looking for something like an input mask for an e-mail field, you won't find one. Input masks use fixed number of characters. You can use a validation procedure to ensure there is a "@" symbol in the address entered in e-mail field, but that's about it.

For e-mail addresses I always use a text field (hyperlink fields cause nothing but trouble). Typically use command button to open new e-mail message based on text in e-mail field, using code like this:
    <pre>Private Sub EMAIL_btn_Click()
    With Me
    If Not IsNull(.txtEmail) Then
    .EMAIL_btn.Hyperlink.Address = "mailto:" & .txtEmail
    Else
    .EMAIL_btn.Hyperlink.Address = ""
    MsgBox "E-mail address not entered.", vbCritical, "NO E-MAIL"
    End If
    End With
    End Sub</pre>

In this example "EMAIL_btn" is the command button that opens email, and txtEmail is textbox bound to email field. As for validation for e-mail address, here is example:
    <pre>Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
    Dim strMsg As String
    With Me
    If Not IsNull(.txtEmail) Then
    If (InStr(1, [Email], "@") <= 1 Or _
    InStr(1, [Email], "@") = Len([Email])) Or _
    (InStr(1, [Email], "@") <> InStrRev([Email], "@")) Then
    strMsg = "Please enter valid e-mail address."
    MsgBox strMsg, vbExclamation, "INVALID E-MAIL ADDRESS!"
    Cancel = True
    .txtEmail.SetFocus
    End If
    End If
    End With
    End Sub</pre>

If using this, add this event procedure for command button to prevent opening email msg with bogus address:
    <pre>Private Sub EMAIL_btn_Enter()
    If Me.Dirty Then Me.Refresh
    End Sub</pre>

Also if using a custom "SAVE" button add error handling to clear Err No 2501 in event you cancel update. The validation procedure above verifies that: (a) there is an "@" in email address (InStr > 0); ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] there is ONLY one "@" (compare InStr & InStrRev return values, should be equal); and the "@" is somewhere in middle of email address, not 1st or last character (InStr <>1 and <> Len of string). Of course this won't prevent a determined user from entering incorrect email address.

HTH or gives you some ideas.