Lounger
    Thanks

Pasting text (Word 2K SR-1)

Hello all.
    Why, when I paste text from one document to another, format it with the same formatting as the rest of the document, then change it (perhaps by backspacing to remove a word), does the pasted text then revert to either the formatting it had in its original document, or another formatting that might be present elsewhere on the current document? (Sorry about the convoluted sentence.)
    This does not *always* happen, but usually and often enough to be really irritating.
    Thanks
    Jim

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pasting text (Word 2K SR-1)

I don't know why this would happen, but I have a suggestion to try and keep it from happening. When you paste, don't just paste. Try Edit/Paste Special/Unformatted text. That should strip the pasted text of the original formatting and apply the formatting of the paragraph into which you are pasting. When you do a regular paste, then directly apply formatting, you're not doing anything to clear that original formatting and in shaky documents, that can come back and bite you later.

Lee Morgan

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jim:
    The formatting rules that Word follows for pasted text are:
    1. Unformatted text takes on the formatting of the target paragraph style.
    2. Text with direct formatting keeps it

Thanks

Deleting a paragraph symbol (end-of-paragraph-marker) typically causes the text following the symbol to take on the characteristics of the text preceding the symbol, as defined in the paragraph style. If direct formatting or character styles have been applied to any of the text, the results are less predictable. Otherwise, simply backspacing once shouldn't have any wide-ranging effect. (Well, AutoFormat as You Type could kick in and change the indentation...)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I sorta knew that, but your concise explanation of the formatting rules for pasted text is very helpful. Thanks. It'll save me some "wonder why it did that" head scratching when I copy and paste.