Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sognatures and vCards (MS Outlook 2002 SP1)

I'm having trouble creating a signature with the vcard that I wish to use.

I'm on a network with a global address book maintained by the network administrators. I have created my own personal address book, by copying selected entries intoit from the global address book. I have then copied all Persona address book entries into my contacts folder, and added a great more detail to my own entry. This entry, on synching to my Palm I desingate as my business card for beaming purposes. However I cannot myself modify my info in my entry in the Global or personal address books.

When I try to add my vcard to my autosignature, I can designate my entry in the contact folder, but when looking at the resultant vcard in a draft e-mail, it has taken the entry out of the global address book (which is fairly skimpy info). Any other way to do this without wearying our adminisstrators to spend more time on my particular info in the address book?

I've looked at both search entries in the Lounge and in the MS Knowledge base, but have had no luck with a relevant answer.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sognatures and vCards (MS Outlook 2002 SP1)

Sounds like the data for your card is being resolved from the GAL. This makes sense if you added your card from the GAL. There are a couple of things you can try as a user. The simplest is to manually create a contact record for yourself and use it as the basis for your vcard. This may not work. The second is to change the look up order so that your contacts folder is searched before the GAL. The problem here is that you may not pick up on changes made to data in the GAL (for example, the email address or alias for a user may be changed at some point, but you continue to use the old one, so mail you send to that user may be non-deliverable.

To change the order: Tools Menu | Address Book., Tools Menu | Options. Make your Contacts (not one of the Exchange folders or your Outlook Address Book) folder the primary (show 1st.)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sognatures and vCards (MS Outlook 2002 SP1)

Thanks - tried that. My contacts folder now comes up as the first to be checked when the address book is invoked, but despite designating my own entry in the Contacts list for vcrd use in an autosignature, it must by default still go to the GAB. I can manually add the vcard from my contat list for each e-mail, but that is somewhat defeating the purpose, I think.

It may be that I'll have to buy some flowers for the administrators and have them put more info in my GAB entry.