Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot Download Updates (XP Home)

After a recent meltdown of my home computer, the tech shop reformatted my hard drive, installed another one, and reloaded XP Home off my CD. Presumably they did not go any further - i.e. did not get the update pack.

On going to Windows update, it goes to the right MS site, and starts the Check for installed software page - after clicking on the Scn for Updates link, the screen indicates at 0% complete, and then the cable modem connection stops - no further action, no update possible.

I've tried going dirrect to the SP1 update site, but it returns me to the Scan for Updates page with the same result.

Is there perhaps some other application which I must deliberately add from the CD, or must I (aargh!) re-install XP Home?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cannot Download Updates (XP Home)

There are a number of KB's that can be searched on WINUP, with info that might help you Q198344--you can ask them for support;
    Q223012 has switches that may be helpful--different problem and vb script for WU.
    These are peripheral to your problem but info still could be helpful. But this is more on target:
    Q319585 WINUP: Error Message: Software Update Incomplete... tells you to clear TIF; how to delete from the WU hidden folder; how to clear Active X controls from the dll for WU's controls and grab new ones using System File Protection.
    Q228548 has Registry keys for WU and a regedit that may get it back to normal; backup/set restore point in case it doesn't.
    Q283288 This one uses SFC to update the WUPDINFO.DLL file as well as MFC42.DLL--it was written for 98 and
    ME--but these dlls exist in XP--I had to repair my MFC42.DLL file a couple months ago . Sometimes they don't get around to updating the KB's that also apply to XP; this also provides info on registering the dll file.
    Q193701 How to install a new VB Scripting Engine and how to register the dll for it.

Finally, some third party apps conflict. I can't make this link work here; it works fine in Lounge Matters and it's a shame because finally I found a KB ending in 1234:
    <font color=blue>Q241234<font color=blue>.

Your best bet of these seem <font color=blue>Q319585</font color=blue> and <font color=blue>Q228548</font color=blue>.
    Good luck,

defrag

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all the help - I'll research these and hopefully report back positively.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

<font color=red>Edited by DaveA to add url code</font color=red>
    I'm happy to report that I downloaded a full version of SP1 last night and installed it. The link cme from this site which was posted by Leif in another part of the forum - http://www.broomeman.com/support/xp.html. This is a great site for everything you wanted to know about XP and more.

I realize the link provided on that page is in fact a microsoft one - I just couldn't seem to drill down to find the correct direct download without going through the MS check-your-computer-for-installations page which still won't work on my machine for whatever reason.

The download took about 4 hours on my cable modem, initially at 7 kb per second, and later a blazing 9 kb per sec - somewhat like watching paint dry. After installation - which took another hour or so, I have noted a markedly quicker reboot process, but haven't had the opportunity to try it further yet - I actually have to go to my office once in a while...

Thanks for, as usual in the Lounge, all the excellent advice.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

As for the speed to download the SP1 files, you and about 1,000,000 others were trying at the same time. I have found that if there is a choice for locations, I do not use the Redmond sites even though it is about 11 miles from I live, if the connection is slow. I will cancel the down load and then try another connection. But some times when EVERYONE is trying to get the NEWEST download then ALL connections will be slow.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.