New Lounger
    Thanks

XP Partition (Win XP)

Would it be worthwhile putting the win xp on a seperate partition to my programs and files , I understand the theory but get put off when most programs install on their own to the C drive . If they do can i just drag the program folder acrooss to the D drive .
    Or is it more trouble that its worth . I heve two partitions at present the second is just used for spare copys of downloads
    JJe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Partition (Win XP)

Most software (if not all) will allow you to specify where to install the software. Yes, in most cases, the default is C:....., but that doesn't mean you have to accept that. There is almost always an option to customize, or browse for an installation point.

As for your question regarding keeping the OS separate from the Programs, most of the loungers I've seen so far, would say yes... keep them separate if you can. And don't forget, keeping the data separate from each of these partitions is sound advice too.
    Christopher Baldrey

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: XP Partition (Win XP)

Different patitions on the same drive are for your convenience. They can help you organize your PC better. When you make backups you can choose the subset of your PC that requires it (usually the data). This will make the backup run much faster. For this you pay a price in performance. For most applications today you won't notice it. But you may if you have an older PC and/or you are into gaming very heavily. Your best bet if you want to separate things is to have multiple physical disk drives. Different partitions on the same drive do you no good if you have a disk hardware problem. As with many things on a PC it is up to you and how you like to operate.

An no you can not just drag a progam folder to a new drive. Upon installation there are entries written to the system registry to identify where the program and its data are located. So, you need to direct the installation to an alternate location. Almost all progam these days let you do that.

hth,
    Joe
    Joe