Thread: Merging Tables

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Merging Tables

(I apologize if this is a repeat post.)
    I have two tables, same number of columns, more or less the same widths. I put the second into the same file as the first, delete all paragraphs between them. They seem to merge, but not really. They don't quite line up, and selecting one column on the top table may include two on the bottom half.

I solved this by changing it all to text separated by tabs, then re-made the text into a table.

Is there a simpler way?

TIA, Michael

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Merging Tables

They don't line up because the column widths are different. Define the column widths (or use the autosize columns) and all should be fixed.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Word does have a tendency to get its columns confused if you merge two tables and the columns don't exactly line up.

You can set the columns in each table to be the same width before you join them or try the following procedure if you can follow it.

After you join the 2 tables select entire columns provided that they do not "fork" to cover 2 cols in the lower table. That done use the mouse to drag the left border to the left and the right border to the right. That should line up the first column. Repeat for the rest of the columns. (When the mouse pointer is over the column border it should change to something like <-||->, thats what you use to drag the borders). It is easier to do than describe.

Hope you can follow,

Andrew C

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

This simplist way I found was to select the entire new table by holding the Alt key down & double clicking anywhere inside the table. Then slide your mouse around until the pointer becomes <-||->. Hold the mouse steady & double click it. All the columns will line up.

If they don't, the only other thing that you need to check is that the distance of the text from the border is the same for the whole table. If they are different, then the columns will not line up, even if the column widths are the same.

Hope this helps.