3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Replication (2000)

I have a replica set which currently has two members - a design master and a replica. Whenever I try to run the conflict resolver, either from the menus, by using the runCommand method of DoCmd or by agreeing to resolve conflicts when opening either member of the set, there is a sound from the computer indicating that a dialog window has opened but nothing appears on the screen and Access hangs. The only thing that can then be done with it is to be remove it using Task Manager. Can anybody help?

My eventual aim is to create a simple interface for the users so that they can synchronise and open the conflict resolution tool by pressing one button, without having to know about the menus. If anybody knows of a cast iron way of doing this I'll scrap the current replica set and start again.

Ian

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Replication (2000)

Replication can be a "can of worms" but in your case, it sounds suspiciously as if the dialog box may be off the visible part of your screen. Normally they should be centered, but if they are not that can happen in a number of situations.

I'm a little curious as to how you are using replication. Is your database application split into a front-end and a back-end. If so which database is being replicated? Is this a situation where the databases can be connected via a LAN connection? What motivated the choice of replication? Answers to these kinds of questions can help determine if replication is the best solution to the problem you are trying to solve - in some cases it is not. But don't throw away your replica set yet.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to Wendell's questions, are you running the conflict resolver because of a message from the replication manager or just to see if there's something to be resolved?
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A lot of questions but I can see the point of all of them, so here goes:

The reason that I am using replication is that I have a number of sales people who need to share their contact data but also to access it and update it when on the road. Separate databases which regularly synchronise seems to be a tailor made solution, especially as most of their their out of office database work will be on their 'own' contacts and so conflicts should be minimal. When in the office the databases can all see each other on the LAN. Synchronisation then seems to work OK, using JRO code from the Getz/Liwin Developper's Handbook fired from a button on a form.

The database is divided into front and back ends but I am trying to create the synchronisation form in the backend, which contains all the replicated tables.

I am trying to open the conflict resolver in my form because this is where I want the users to eventually open it from. I am also trying to open it in response to the message that appears when the database is first opened, telling me that there are conflicts (which is correct as I created some deliberately). In this latter case I answer 'yes' to the prompt and the same thing happens - Access hangs.

Sorry about taking so long to respond, I'm in a different time zone here in the UK, I'm asleep when you're awake and I have difficulties spelling the word synchronize.

Ian

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Or indeed the word developer. Oops.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Ah, yes - the details help loads. And your scenario is a good one for replication. We have a couple of clients who do pretty much the same thing, and we did the solution with the back-end being replicated. And I'm not sure you can even run the conflict resolver anywhere but the back-end. If you try to kick it off from the front-end, it would involve opening the back-end database directly I believe. So the form should probably be in the back-end.

The thing that worries me about that approach is that where forms and other like objects are concerned, you can only replicate from the design master outward. One solution would be to make the conflict resolution form non-replicable. Another would be to use a three tier approach, and always do the data synchronization (I hope I can spell this early in the morning) to/from the second tier replica, not the design master.

As to the hang in Access, if you do the process from code opening your form, can you step through the code and determine exactly where it hangs. I'm still suspicious that it may not have actually hung, but is doing something with a dialog box that you can't see.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wow, what a great bulletin board, normally I have to wait days for a response. In fact I'm away from the office today so I won't be able to check things out 'til tomorrow. However, I think you may be right about the dialogue box being present but invisible. Are there circumstances where a dialogue box/error box opens behind the application? This would render it both invisible and inaccessible.

At present I am experimenting, once the forms work I will place them in a new design master and create replicas from that. Also, I think I may already be using your three tier approach although I didn't know it was called that. The database that everything synchronises with (the hub?) is not the design master but is a replica itself. This will then periodically be synchronised with the design master.

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's the only really safe way to do replication. Design masters blow up, so you have to be prepared for it. Plus, you can make your design changes to the master and not sync to the middle tier (I usually call that the "Hub master") until you finalize the design changes. In the meanwhile, the replicas can still sync to and exchange data with the hub master. By the way, remember that you create the replicas from the middle tier, not from the design master itself. The other thing to keep in mind is that you can't sync design changes and data changes at the same time, so be careful. Don't try to add a record to a lookup table, for instance, in the same sync that deletes a field from that table. The design change will get synced first and your new value will have nowhere to go.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Looks like my main problem - not seeing the conflict resolution box - is no longer a problem. I don't know why, but it seems to have come back.

Thanks for all your help. I have started a new thread about strategies for upgrading a 97 replica set to 2000.