New Lounger
    Thanks

xpsp1 breaks outlook express (winXP professional)

After cleaning up USB problems with the installation of SP1 of winXP, I discovered that the 'switch identity' feature doesn't switch anymore. you can switch identities if you change the default identity selected on OE startup, but it's a bit of a pain. I haven't been able to find anything in Technet about it, so I thought that I'd check here...

any ideas?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: xpsp1 breaks outlook express (winXP professional)

Same here! Don't know if this happened with IE6 SP1 alone or when XP SP1 was installed. I suspect the former.

One thing I noticed is that it seems to be a problem with the setting for which identity to load at startup. If I check that option, the selected identity is always loaded, even when I try to switch to another. If I uncheck the option, when I switch I get the dialog box asking which identity to use, even though I already specified that when I switched.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Go to "Help and Support" and do a serach on 'switch identity' without the quotes. Then go to the file listed in the Knowleage Base named "You Cannot Switch Identities in Outlook Express After You Install Windows XP SP1" and you will have the fix.
    The following is cut and pasted from there.

RESOLUTION
    To work around this problem, configure Outlook Express to prompt you for an identity at startup:
    In Outlook Express, click File, point to Identities, and then click Manage Identities.
    Click to clear the Use this identity when starting a program check box.
    Click Close.
    NOTE: After you complete this procedure, you are prompted to select an identity each time you start Outlook Express. At this time, you can switch identities; however, you are prompted two times to switch to a new identity.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, that's pretty much the solution that I'd worked out through trial and error. Hopefully, there will be a better fix coming out of MS, but I'm not counting on any quick action.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I has to make you wonder about who is testing the SP if something as basic as switching identities is broken. Thanks for the pointer to the work-around.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I was a beta tester but I do not use identities, and I do NOT remember seeing any thing on this problem on the newsgroups. I do remember seeing some other problems early on with the use of identities.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.