New Lounger
    Thanks

Drag and drop (WinXP SP-1)

There was a marvelous feature on prior versions of Windows that seems to have gone MIA in WinXP. You could drag files and drop them onto desktop shortcuts to open them with the application (or print them with the printer icon). In other words, if I received an Adobe Acrobat PDF file in an email, I could simply drag and drop it onto the shortcut to the printer to print it on that printer. It would automatically open Acrobat and print the file. I could drag a text data file onto the Excel shortcut on my desktop and it would open Excel and open the file with the text import filter. With WinXP, that no longer works. I think it worked all the way back to Win95, but all the computers around here have Win2K Pro, except the one that I'm typing on, so I can't check that.

Thanks,
    chartguy John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Drag and drop (WinXP SP-1)

What happens?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I managed to miss that "minor detail" <grin>.
    In WinXP, when the pointer is over the shortcut (to the printer or application) you cannot drop on the icon. You can place it (or a shortcut) right next to the icon on the desktop, but you cannot open the document by dropping it on the icon.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This could be related to a "Send to" function which may need to be set up. I do not use it (send to) but some one else may, but this may give you a direction to look.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks

I think it is related to the shortcut properties. I did a quick test with an Excel spreadsheet. I copied the MS created shortcut from the Start menu - that did not work. Got the results you did. When I created the shortcut from scratch it worked fine. How were the shortcuts created? Are you only having problems with the printer shortcut.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

You may be on to something. Burrowing down to the Excel.exe and creating a desktop shortcut from there did solve the drag & drop text file issue. Thank you! I was lazy, and Ctrl-dragged the start menu icon for Excel. Obviously, it wasn't just a shortcut to the exe file.

So, now all I have to figure out is how to make a desktop shortcut for printers that works like the old ones did (opening the appropriate application and printing with the defaults, when I drag and drop). I dragged and dropped from the printers folder. Those didn't work. When I try to create a new shortcut from scratch, it only browses for folders, even hiding network printers.

You've solved a big part of the problem. Thanks!

jc

Administrator
    Thanks

If you have the 'printers and faxes' applet open you should be able to right click on a printer and select create a shortcut. XP will then give you a dialog box telling you that it can't create a shortcut here and asking if it should create one on the desktop. Click on yes. Then you should be able to d&d. If not try right clicking, dragging, then dropping - that should popup a menu with print as the first selection.

Joe
    Joe