2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Should you install XP SP1? (XP SP1)

Not according to the editor of WinXPNews. His readers' response was about 60/40 against the Service Pack, citing a number of problems. I went ahead and installed it, but it's too early to tell if there's problems. I've gotten this far, so at least IE and Outlook seem to be working. It will be interesting to see what the reaction in the lounge is.

It might also be interesting to track differences between the Express Install and Network Install. I wouldn't expect any, but you never know. (Thanks to my company's T1, I was able to download the Network Install, which I plan to backup on a CD.)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Should you install XP SP1? (XP SP1)

Defrag, I think the express dl checks your machine for hotfixes applied and only downloads what you need. So, if you re-install XP you'll have to re-dl the express install because of the missing hotfixes. Not sure about IE 6.o Sp-1 in the express dl. I did the whole enchilada. It is definitely in there.

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks

Post deleted by WyllyWylly
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe. If anyone is tracking the differences between Express and 134, I'd like to hear or anyone knows for sure if Express inculded IE6's SP1.

defrag

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Charlie--
    Thanks for the link to add to my XP collection. I was reluctant, but I went on and installed it. I talked to Microsoft at length about the difference between these two the other day. It's a good point, but they say that if you don't have a network with multiple machines, all you will be getting is extra files that you completely won't be using--in other words that if you install the 133.94 MB download, you are not getting enhanced, extra options if you are on a single desktop or laptop.
    One piece of good news is that I always wanted MSN Messenger out. I've used it but don't need it. You can stop it from starting in a second by using Group Policy Editor("gpedit.msc at the run box or command line) and enabling the disable (oxymorn?). But it always 50/50 times I did that--freezes up good ole 2MB hotmail. So one of the Tweak Tips sites--Doug Knox, Kelly, Bob Cerelli had a stop messenger forever until you feel like downloading it tweak and it worked. And happily, even though both showcase the new enhanced messenger they give you so-called 4.7 with improved security features and "Add/Remove capabilities mandated by the consent decree," one of the nice things about SP1 is that I zapped messenger before I downloaded it and it stayed zapped. BTW, the media (most of whom don't seem to use XP very much from what they write about it), say you can completely remove Messenger, WMP8 or 9Beta, IE6, OLE, MJVM, in SP1 and this is just untrue. You can go to the new little button/icon on Add/Remove and Hide them--not a lot different than downloading Opera or Mozilla and just not opening up IE6--but you definitely can't uninstall them intrinsic to SP1 unless you do a special Registry hack and those have been around since IE4x. And this is Microsoft complying with the letter of the consent agreement that they negotiated with a symathetic Bush DOJ--fine with me--I watch the airports and the rest of the bureaucracy malfunction--I don't want MS developers being messed with by DOJ.
    What is unclear to me is whether the 134 MB download or the up to 30 Express contains the separate SP1 for IE6. I know that Woody's last XP newsletter did say that it's included in the 133MB but at a recent MS meeting the lecturer from Redmond was emphatic you need to do separate SP's for IE and XP, and to do IE first--don't know if that matters if the are separate. One way to check is not to separately download the IE for SP6 and then go to Help on the IE toolbar, and see what's there. If the XP downloads contain the SP1 for IE6, it'll say it's been updated at Help>About IE. I don't have an extra machine to test this.

defrag

Administrator
    Thanks

Defrag, If you can believe what MS says on the SP-1 website there is no difference once installed. But we all know that if you believe everything MS support says then 'I've got some swampland in Florida I'd like to talk to you about'.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My main reason for downloading the full version is that I have other machines that I'll migrate to XP over time, and there are others at my company that use XP despite the fact that our corporate IT doesn't officially support it. Plus I can put it on a CD and help out my friends that don't have a T1.

As for the difference between the full and Express, as I said I didn't anticipate any, but I have to wonder if the logic that checks for components to install is indentical in both. In a perfect world it would be, but this is MS we're talking about. I thought it might be useful if people who have problems include the version of SP1 that was used.

I installed IE6 SP1 prior to XP SP1, so I can't tell if it's included or not. I'll check that the next time I apply the SP.

HTH

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The full version contains the IE SP1 update. See attachment
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dave--The full version sure does. Have you any way to find out about Express? The first SP1 download I did was IE6, mainly because it was available to me on WUD a few days before XP SP1--so I went on and downloaded it and it said to do it separately so I did. So I'd have to get another machine and download only Express to find out or find an Express machine. Just curious--anyone know? I can't really find out from any of the stops on Microsoft's maze of sites where I've looked.

Thanks,

defrag