Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

track changes views are reversed (word97 sr2b)

Hi - I have a result of a compared document - with track changes.
    However the track changes views are reversed.
    ie where the insertions are displayed - is to display insertions are blue underline.
    actually displayed the inserted text displayed as red strikethru.
    where the deleted text is - supposed to be displayed as red strikethru
    the deleted text is actually displayed as blue underline.

To resolve - I was thinking of going into Tools>Options>Track changes & just reversing the track changes
    however the options are limited ie for inserted text - under Mark dropdownlist - theres no option for strikethru
    & for Deleted Text - under Mark dropdownlist - theres no option for underline.

I have looked at Word97 & WordXP & I dont have the flexiblity in either version of Word to be change my track changes view.
    Any ideas how I can do this? or whats going on with my orginial doc to cause it to reverse the track changes view.
    regards Diana

Thanks

Re: track changes views are reversed (word97 sr2b)

I think in order for a Compare Documents to come out correctly, I believe you have to have the newer version open and compare against the older version on disk. Or it's the other way around... Either way, the fastest and perhaps only way to get to what you're looking for is to do the compare in the opposite way that you did it the first time. Not sure I'm being clear, but if you try it, I think you'll see what I mean.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jeffson - I did do it the other way around ie compare doc1 to doc2 & then compare doc2 to doc1.
    I checked both docs but no success - the track change view were reversed in both resulting compared documents.
    TIA Diana

Thanks

The sad part is, Word 97's track changes worked better in many ways than Word 2000's!

I don't understand how both can come out wrong; it would seem that from one perspective the change is an insertion and from the other perspective, it is a deletion. If either of the document contains previously marked changes, that could create a problem. Other than that, I'm stumped.

Maybe you know someone with DeltaView or CompareRite...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Diana:
    Perhaps the underline & strikethrough come from the actual text itself--i.e. the documents contain underlined & strikethrough text. Try checking for that. Hopefully, you didn't accept changes when you did it the first time. I often make copies & compare copies of the documents, so I don't screw up the originals.
    Hope this helps.