Super Moderator
    Thanks

Really BIG Word docs (Word 2000 SP2)

One of our clients is interested in automating the printing of documents that they need to send out to their clients once a year. The individual documents aren't huge, ranging from 13 to 18 pages depeding on the specifics of a given client, and are generated and saved using Automation from Access. The problem is that they may need to print up to 3000 of these at some point during the year so they would like to automate that process as well.

One solution that has been proposed is to create a master document which includes each of the individual documents - it's been shown to work OK for up to 20 documents, but there are real worries about trying to do that for 3000 documents. Another suggestion (not tested) is to simply print the documents from Access since it knows where they are stored. So we're looking for any experience other users can share about similar situations. Thanks in advance.
    Wendell

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Really BIG Word docs (Word 2000 SP2)

Hi Wendell,

You should probably steer well clear of Word's 'Master Documents' - any number of loungers will tell you that they're evil and will reliably screw up whatever depends on them.

Sub SOAPBOX()
    3000 13-18 page documents is an awful lot of trees. Can't your clients use PDFs instead, and only print the bits they really need hard-copy of?
    End Sub

You could also print the documents via a Word macro, but I think Access is the better way to go, especially since you've already got it set up and means you'll only have to keep one set of file references updated.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks for responding - I may have used the wrong term, as we were simply putting a series of Include fields into a Word document to combine the individual documents into one large one. But 3000 of them still scares me plenty.

As to the printing issue, apparently government regulations require that they send each of their clients a hard-copy version of the document. They do PDFs for long term storage, and also email the document to most clients. It's a strange world we live in.
    Wendell

Thanks

I don't think I'd want to watch Word try to repaginate a 45,000 page document. I'd definitely discourage them from trying it.