Thanks

Windows Explorer Malady

I have come across a seeming quirk in Explorer:

I am running 98SE. On inital setup, I leave Explorer at the default setting, namely "Open each folder in thw same window. Then, for no seemingly apparent reason, Explorer suddenly, from a standard starting window (namely the folders list in the left window and the folder items in the right), when I click on one of the folders in the right window, it opens in a NEW window, NOT the same window. Then, if I click on one of the folders in the newly created window, IT is opened in the SAME window, not a new one...

Now settings were changed... and there is no apparent setting that triggers this ... BUT, I know it is some entry in the registry that is getting changed, because if I import a registry that I had exported when Explorer worked properly, it then works again.

What in the world is causing this? And where? If I know or knew where the item is located in the registry, I could create a patch entry to 'adjust it back'.

Would be great if I knew how or when it was getting changed, but failing that, at least I would like to be able to fix it on the fly, because the way it is now, I have to re-install Windows to correct it.

Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks

Re: Windows Explorer Malady

(You have probably done all this but...)
    Open Explorer, Tools > Folder Options > View and select Reset all Folders
    Tools > Folder Options > View and set your preferences for the current folder, then select Like Current Folder
    Tools > Folder Options > View and deselect Remember each folders view options

Does that standardise everything?

Otherwise, maybe some info in
    Q171002 : How Windows Stores View Preferences

Thanks

Leif:

No, once this problem occurs, it seems set. I've tried re-installing Windowsa to correct corrupted etc. files... no good there either...

There has to be some entry or value being set that causes this, but that Windows sees as "acceptable" and therefore won't "fix".

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

BoardFlak

The usual place this is controlled in Win98 is in the options under the view menu. Open up any Window (Control Panel will do nicely), and click on View. Click on Folder Options. Look under Windows Desktop Update for Custom, based on settings you choose and click the Settings button next to it. One of the options on this panel is Browse folders as follows - and the choices are whether to open folders in the same window or a new window. I'd say there's an outstanding chance you'll find that the choice is currently on opening folders in a new window.
    (Edited upon further thought, and to add another possibility)
    What I noted above SHOULD be affecting everything if that was it, and probably would be pretty noticable. Something that might have happened, though is that the specific folder for the right window could have gotten a customization on it somehow. Right-click in the window - just about anywhere other than on a file name, and you should have Customize this folder on the menu. Click it, then choose Remove Customization. Next through until you get to finish. If there was a customization file, that will remove it. If that was the problem, your folder should return to normal - or doing the routine to "set other folders like this one" (in another folder, of course), should then work.