New Lounger
    Thanks

Formatting data points

Is there a key-press combination that will get me to the "format data point" procedure? I specifically refer to pie graphs. I can double click the chart and get the "format data series" process, but it seems to take forever and many double right-clicks to isolate a single data point to format. I am thinking maybe something is not fully implemented. I am using Office 2000. Has anyone had this problem -- and hopefully solved it?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Formatting data points

I don't know of short cut key, but instead of clicking on the entire chart, just right click on the Data Point (or segment) required, and the Format Data Point dialog should appear.

Hope this helps

Andrew C

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Andrew. Right-clicking on the datapoint is what I have been trying. Sometimes, it works. But every time I get "format data series" at least once. Usually, I get that all the time. At least, I am glad I've been doing the right thing!!

There's a little dropdown menu box over there on the same line as the line on which you compose formulas or edit cells. When I click the arrow, I do not see any choices other than the chart series choice. Do you think maybe I need to delete and re-install Excel? Or is it possible I have a mouse problem? Any hint that would help will be most appreciated.

Thanks again, Andrew.

Jim Swanson

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jim,

The best trick might be to left click on the chart, then (but not quick enough to constitute a double click) left click again on the Data Point you want to select, and then right click. That should give you the Format Data Point Option. When you think about a Shortcut Keystroke could not be used to select an individual plot area, as it would ned to know the one you are interested in.

[img]/w3timages/icons/nope.gif[/img] With regard to the dropdown box - just ignore it. At the best of times it never gives the option to select a data point. Why click on a dropdown list when you can click on the chart anyway. It very obligingly informs you when you have a data point selected however. If you have the Chart Toolbar visible, the same drop down is on that. I don't think, if all else is Ok with XL, you should bother re-installing it.

Hope some of the above helps

Regards,

Andrew

New Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew, that works. It is a little more clicking than I think I ought to have to to, but it does the trick. When I said I could occasionally get the Format Data Point dialog, I believe I was doing a lot of random (angry, too) clicking and just happened to hit that sequence.

Now I know!!

Thanks so much for this valuable help. You have probably saved me at least a dozen grouchy moments today!

Jim Swanson