Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

chkdsk on live NTFS (SP1)

I have run chkdsk from a "DOS" window, while running XP. I get a variety of messages -
    sometimes finding an "error" with the volume bitmap, sometimes unspecified errors. A
    second invocation of chkdsk may report clean.

So, I ask: is it OK to run on a live NTFS volume, and should I expect these types of
    messages?

I do have a certain amount of wierdness that happens that makes me suspect a gremlin
    in the system, and I'm trying to figure out what. I have had corrupted files, and sometimes
    can't boot - I've gone to the restore CDs too many times, but my MTBF is about a week [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img].

Thanks,
    Mouser.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: chkdsk on live NTFS (SP1)

Hi Mouser--I'm sure it's OK to run check disk. What commands are you using? Are you running it at the command line or at the dos prompt--I thought all the commands were usually run from the command line if you weren't setting it up from the gui or of course it could be run from the Recovery Console. If you put up help and support, and put in Chkdsk you get a comprehensive list of the commands--and if you're very familiar with it forgive me. And if you're having problems with it, try to run it from the gui or from the Recovery Console.
    Chkdsk
    Is it meant to run from the dos window/prompt? If I'm not understanding your question I apologize. But help me with the "live" NTFS volume and what commands are you using, and from the run box or from the dos prompt?
    These are commands that can be run from the command line:
    Checking an NTFS disk
    Windows displays chkdsk status reports for an NTFS disk in the following format:

The type of the file system is NTFS.

CHKDSK is verifying files...

File verification completed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes...

Index verification completed.

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors...
    ChkdskCreates and displays a status report for a disk based on the file system. Chkdsk also lists and corrects errors on the disk. Used without parameters, chkdsk displays the status of the disk in the current drive.

Syntax
    chkdsk [volume:][[Path] FileName] [/f] [/v] [/r] [/x] [/i] [/c] [/l[:size]]

Parameters
    volume:
    Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon), mount point, or volume name.
    [Path] FileName
    Specifies the location and name of a file or set of files that you want chkdsk to check for fragmentation. You can use wildcard characters (that is, * and ?) to specify multiple files.
    /f
    Fixes errors on the disk. The disk must be locked. If chkdsk cannot lock the drive, a message appears that asks you if you want to check the drive the next time you restart the computer.
    /v
    Displays the name of each file in every directory as the disk is checked.
    /r
    Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. The disk must be locked.
    /x
    Use with NTFS only. Forces the volume to dismount first, if necessary. All open handles to the drive are invalidated. /x also includes the functionality of /f.
    /i
    Use with NTFS only. Performs a less vigorous check of index entries, reducing the amount of time needed to run chkdsk.
    /c
    Use with NTFS only. Skips the checking of cycles within the folder structure, reducing the amount of time needed to run chkdsk.
    /l[:size]
    Use with NTFS only. Changes the log file size to the size you type. If you omit the size parameter, /l displays the current size.
    /?
    Displays help at the command prompt.
    Remarks

defrag
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Hi Mouser, Sounds like you have a serious problem. Are you running up-to-date anti-virus software? Have you run a complete system scan recently? Was your XP installation an upgrade, a fresh install, or a new PC pre-install? From your description it seems like a pre-install as that is how you usually get a restore Cd. Have you contacted the manufacturers support? Be prepared to get into an extended back and forth with the vendor. Remember first line support people are usually working from a script. If they recommend something that sounds funny and you're not sure about it ask here or someone else you trust . And don't hesitate to insist on escalation of your problem if you don't think you are getting the proper responses/assistance.

Your CHKDSK question. With XP I don't think it makes a deifference where you run CHKDSK on a 'live' volume. By 'live' if you mean the OS is booted you will not be able to do the repair functionailty in CHKDSK. If you use the GUI interface, request that it repair erros , and try to run it you should be given the option to run at the next boot. If you have a large drive that may take a long time.

hth,
    Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the notes.

By "live" filesystem, I mean that Windows is running - not the isolated access that chkdsk would have at boot time.
    I'm running "chkdsk" (no options) at the dos box command line.
    I've run a current version of Norton, both in Windows, and booting from the Norton CD.
    It's a pre-installed XP (or was before recovery), the problems have been with me since I got the box. There
    was no obvious improvement or new problem after SP1.

I'm dealing with the warranty people -> I have a new hard drive. Unfortunately, I didn't get into this
    before the magic 30 days were gone - but, hey, I have the rest of one year to work on it :-) (happy
    20th birthday, emoticons).

The problem seems to hit just about the time I get enough software loaded to make the machine
    useful (I don't think I'm using any wierd software...).

Mouser.

Administrator
    Thanks

Is the system OK after you 'recover' only? Run it like that for enough time to have passed that you would notice some corruption. If it is still OK, try installing additonal software one package at a time. Same thing as far as run between installs. If it is a piece of software that should help you isolate which it is.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>I'm running "chkdsk" (no options)<hr>
    'Scuse me for jumping in here. If you really meant what you said, you HAVE to use the command CHKDSK /F or it won't "repair" anything it finds. Jump on me, Joe, if I missed something.

Administrator
    Thanks

BigAl, The option is required to fix things. But if you're running it from a command prompt it won't finx anything anyway 'cause it is a live system. I've just used the GUI and selected the repair option, let XP ask tell me it can't do it now and ask if I want to do it at the next boot. Reply yep and go on my merry way.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe--
    Help me with this:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BigAl, The option is required to fix things. But if you're running it from a command prompt it won't fix anything anyway 'cause it is a live system. I've just used the GUI and selected the repair option...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Aside from the command prompt, or I thought really chkdsk and it's options were run from the command line and not the prompt, can't he use the Recovery Console to run checkdisk--I have used it successfully even when I couldn't boot with a 21A Blue Screen. I don't understand why he can't run it from the command line--would appreciate knowing. And if he can't run it from the command line, why can't he summon up the Recovery Console and run chkdsk r from the Recovery console--if chkdsk can't find Autock.exe in the systemrootsystem32 directory, then it will get it from the CD Rom. You don't have to be up in Windows even to run chkdsk.

defrag

Administrator
    Thanks

defrag, You can run chkdsk from the command prompt (or line whatever you wish to call it in nt/2k/xp), the recovery console, or the GUI. My point being that if you run it from the command prompt (i.e Start | Run | cmd) you can not fix errors because XP has files assigned that prevent it. When you start from the GUI (i.e Right click a drive | Tools | Error checking - Check now and select the repair options) chkdsk will report that it can't do the repair now and ask if you want it to run at the next boot.
    I've not run it from the recovery console. I believe that is what you are referring to as the command prompt/line. And a repair should be OK then as all the OS components that would prohibit a repair are not yet loaded. Clearer now?

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm distinguishing from the run box/command line and the dos window and sure need to understand more about their distinction. But surely some commands run from the dos prompt can't be run from the command line/run box and some can with modification.
    I'm making three distinctions:
    1) The command line, or the "run box" brought up with Windows Key+"r"
    2) The dos prompt--brought up by putting cmd in the command line or clicking on it from the start menu or if you have to start menu>accesoories
    Recovery Console
    Installing the MRC
    Add more power to the MRC
    Description of the XP MRC
    Exploring Boot Options and the MRC
    3) I'm referring to the Recovery Console, Joe as entirely different from the dos prompt, but with a similar command interface. You can get to the Recovery Console, of course by booting to the CD, and selecting "r"- when the setup loads -or you can load it onto your system, and I have. It's a "command line console" but not the same as the dos prompt or the command line, and it's similar to a dos troubleshooting environment, but it's not either the command line nor is it the dos command prompt or dos window. It is a black and white command environment. It has access to the root directory, the Windows installation folder, and it can read all files and folders on removable media. It was available in 2000, beefed up in XP and unless I am mistaken is different than the command line or run box. It can be used even when you can't boot up to repair the registry, partitions, and has a long list of commands.

defrag

Administrator
    Thanks

defrag, Your 1.) & 2.) are the same. MS has used command prompt instead of dos prompt since nt 4. Once XP is booted you can call it what you will but it is all the same. And yes the recovery console is different. It supports many commands but it still a limited command prompt. This is so you can in fact do repairs without all the other OS garbage getting in the way.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I prepared this posting, then searched the lounge for help before actually posting it. Found this thread, but I am sorry that I do not understand it. May I ask the questions my way. Also what is recovery consol, and does it give me more control than forcing a check by asking for a "fix" on a boot drive?
    --------------------------------

I have just made a double jump

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You need Nortons 2003 for it to run properly on a XP machine.
    If your machine is using NTFS you have a LOT of reading to do. You need to get a GOOD book on Windows XP.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmmm scary reply.

I don't think we have NDD 2003 over here in the UK, and SystemWorks 2002 claims to be XP compliant. I assume each of the modules in System works track in parallel to the individual offerings. If you are sure of your ground (sorry) then I will try not to worry about the present and keep my eyes open for the next edition. I'll also try their web site again.....

Mike C

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Wait.... Don't run away yet..... Wait until someone here jumps in with something further. I don't think the disk checking problems are an "XP thing." I think it must have something to do with Norton but since I don't use it, you'll need to wait until someone else chimes in. Yes, you could probably stand to do a little reading on NTFS but I think we all could. I am still in my "infancy" stages with NTFS but I don't have a boot partition with that file system. Since it's a data only partition, CHKDSK /F sometimes executes without a reboot and other times it executes on reboot, but I never have any trouble getting it to complete the check. I think you've got a Norton's problem. I wouldn't be surprised if Norton "takes over" the chkdsk command, so that could be why you're having a problem with both. Hang on..... Maybe help (The Cavalry!) is on the way.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast