mmiles

Error w/ Pivot Table and External Data Source

WHen running a pivot in Excel2k that pulls from a query in Access2K, I'm getting an error: "Too Few Parameters. Expected 1." I'm running about 6 pivots all pulling from the same .mdb file and only this particular pivot has problems. Any ideas? [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Thought I had solved this but no such luck.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error w/ Pivot Table and External Data Source

I realize I'm about 6 months late, but I think I know what's wrong. I have the same problem. Are you trying to use a parameter query in your query? That is, instead of typing in a date parameter like this in the Access query criteria field: >=1/1/2004 and <=6/30/2004, you are using: Between [startdate] and [stopdate] in your criteria field. Or something like this.

I am also trying to figure out how to use such parameter queries, so that I don't have to keep going back into the Access query and changing the criteria. If you've discovered a way to do this, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Sherry sstuck@federatedmedia.com

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error w/ Pivot Table and External Data Source

Umm, more like 3 years and 6 months. It is nice of you to react, but the original poster is no longer a member of Woody's Lounge...

You cannot use an Access parameter query when you use Data | Get External Data. The parameters are not recognized. You can, however, create a parameter query in MSQuery. When you are at the last step of the Query Wizard, select the option to view data or edit the query with Microsoft Query. Turn off the Automatic Query butto, and select View | Criteria. You can now enter parameters in the criteria row(s) the same way as in Access. Select the online help for Microsoft Query and look up parameter queries for more information.