Star Lounger
    Thanks

msohelp.exe application error

When trying to use access help (2000 SR1 on NT) get the following message:

title: peparing Index for first use .... msohelp.exe application error

message: the instruction at "0x5d48d301" referenced memory at "0x00000000" the memory could not be "written"

This is followed by a second message at above except the instruction is 0x5d48932e and could not be "read"

We have used the help detect and repair, the office pro repair facility and reinstalled Access, none of which have helped.

Anyone got any ideas?

(help works fine in other application)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: msohelp.exe application error

Do you have both Access 97 and Access 2000 installed on your machine? If you have both apps open at once, the help can sometimes get confused. I've seen this kind of behavior but can't remember offhand how I fixed it. I'll think about it, and in the meanwhile, someone else may come up with the answer.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access 97 used to be on but had been uninstalled sometime ago. Do you think there may be some old files hanging on?

thanks for the reply

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's the only thing I can think of offhand. Have you tried doing a reinstall of Office 2000 (not just Access) to fix any broken libraries? We're not talking about an uninstall here, just a setup and reinstall.

There is a knowledgebase article on similar problems in Office 2000 and you might look it up and see if it applies. Try <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q229/5/50.ASP?>Q229550</A>, which talks about Front Page but includes all the Office apps as encountering the problem.
    Charlotte