New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 'Not Responding' (2002 (10.4219.4219.) SP2)

After I installed the OX SP1 and SP2 Outlook has developed this bad habit of suddenly isolating itself from the rest of the world with no apparent rhyme nor reason.

A check of Task Manager indicates that Outlook is using no resources, and reports Outlook as "Not Responding."

Any ideas as to a potential cause of this?

I'm going to run "Detect and Repair" and see if that fixes it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 'Not Responding' (2002 (10.4219.4219.) SP2)

So I ran "Detect and Repair" on Outlook. That seems to have solved the problem with Outlook, but it created another problem in IE 6!

Now when IE 6 comes to a webpage, it generates an error message box, even though I have script debugging and all error notification turned off!

So I'll run sfc on the system and see what that does.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Don't be so sure..... I've been chasing this devil for about 2 weeks. Virtually new XP-based PC. All patches installed to the operating system. Word Pro XP. Norton Antivirus 2002 for XP (yes -- I checked for Virus). Unit is sitting behind a dlink router. XP installed fine from the CD. Using the Office Update Site I installed all updates. Immediately after SP2 was installed, Office would stall whenever it was not the primary (e.g. front) window AND it attempted to check my POP3 server. Tried detect & repair. No luck. Outlook still stalled. Finally deinstalled and reinstalled Office XP. Everything worked again fine. Installed SP1. Everything worked fine for a week. No problems. Downloaded SP2 update from Microsoft onto my hard disk. Went into Clean Boot mode and confirmed I had a Clean Boot. Installed SP2. Everything installed with no errors reported. Guess what.....Outlook now stalls whenever it is not the primary window and attempts to access the mail server. I am totally stumped and out of ideas, other than to deinstall and admit that SP1 is all I will ever need!!

New Lounger
    Thanks

cmarsha seems to have examined this more closely than I so far, but my symptoms appear to be identical. I have an 8 month old Dell box sitting behind a Linksys router that came with Win and Office XP as the original OS's. The Office XP previously had SP1 installed. Nearly immediately after installing Office SP2, I started to get the Outlook hangs, apparently when OL was attempting to check for incoming POP mail. They were random, maybe 1-2 per day for several days. At that point I reverted to SP1 via an old partition clone and the hangs ceased.

I have now installed Windows XP SP1 (with Office XP XP2) and everything seems solid. After a week or so will try Office SP2 again...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hummmmm.....the common denominator is the router. And I can now also report that the stalling problem is sporadic. Last night Outlook SP2 worked fine. I think I'll hardwire from my cable modem to the PC (bypass the router) and see what happens for a couple of days.

I've been going back and forth with Microsoft's support team on this one. For the moment, they've thrown in the towel. This the latest response I received: "I have some information to update you. Recently we received some reports regarding this issue. We are trying to work on this issue with our test team and develop team to find a solution. So far, there is no official document that explains this problem. In the future, we will perhaps publish a Knowledge Base article that discusses the problem. Currently, we recommend you go back to Office XP SP1 as a temporary workaround." 'nuff said.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Did the "system" ask, and did you let it send an error report to MS??? I purposely let it send several.... Others should do the same...

ash

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I've sent literally dozens of these error reports but where they go and who looks at them is unknown to me. Microsoft assures me that their software engineers are currently looking at this issue. (I assume that other users are reporting the same problem.) Ash, you noted that you have a home router? Do you use Norton AntiVirus 2002? I'm trying to document common configurations.

cmarsha

New Lounger
    Thanks

yep...
    NAV 2002 and
    ZonwAlarm (free), ver 2.6.362.

ash

New Lounger
    Thanks

OK....anyone else out there with Outlook XP/SP2 where Outlook is stalling and requires a CNTL-ALT-DEL to get restarted ------ AND you have either Norton Antivirus 2002 or are using a router between your ISP and your computer -----or have both NAV 2002 and a router???????

cmarsha

New Lounger
    Thanks

Update - Hangs appear to be gone...

Perhaps the "solution" to the Outlook hang problem following installing OfficeXP SP2 is to install WinXP SP1 first.

After having reverted to OfficeXP SP1 via a Ghost partition clone, I downloaded and installed WinXP SP1 and ran it a few days to make sure it was stable.

I then downloaded and installed OfficeXP SP2 again. It has now been more than a couple of days with no Outlook hangs. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I did experience another glitch after the SP2 install. I have 3 different email accounts with my primary ISP, ATTBI. After the install, I could not access one of those accounts. I kept getting "no response from server" error messages (this did not happen with the previous SP2 install

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Update - Hangs appear to be gone...

I have also had this problem. I seemed to occur after installed XP SP1. At times, I have to reboot to be able to use my email.