New Lounger
    Thanks

Install problems XP pro (Window XP Pro)

winXP pro will not copy all files on install missing files vary from cab files to dll files and even sys files this is a clean fresh install on new hardware
    any clues?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Install problems XP pro (Window XP Pro)

Will Windows startup?

What messages are displayed on the screen?

It could be a bad hard drive, and NEW drives may have bad spots.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP Professional does NOT copy all installation files from Installation CD to the hard drive by design. WinXP Pro machines designed to work in network environment with centralized upgrading from dedicated servers or from Microsoft website. However, you can do it manually by copying i386 folder to your hard drive and pointing Windows to it when prompted. If you install WinXP on the new computer, do not forget to download the newest XP drivers from your computer's vendor website (Windows itself can install generic drivers in some cases). Also check for BIOS upgrades despite how new the computer is - some BIOS are upgraded frequently.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I tried 2 other hard drives with the same result, have now changed various hardware and using different XP disk. Install seemed to go smooth. All files copied. Blue screen error now reads:
    error in win32k.sys PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA asks to disable bios cache, did so, to no avail.... still stuck, would very much appreciate any further help you can give me.

cheers Doni

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

If you attempted to install WinXP from CD and change hard drives already, according to http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/...rt7/proch33.asp, one of the possible causes is:
    "Faulty hardware. Stop 0x50 usually occurs after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM). If hardware has been added to the system recently, remove it to see if the error recurs. If existing hardware has failed, remove or replace the faulty component. You need to run hardware diagnostics supplied by the system manufacturer. For details on these procedures, see the owner's manual for your computer."
    (I suppose you got the "Stop 0x00000050" error). I think the most probable are faulty RAM or motherboard. Go to BIOS Setup and enable full RAM checking during the POST.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Hi Doni, XP is very picky about memory. Is this a new PC? Under warranty? If its under warranty the PC vendor can help. Can you try different memory? If you have multiple memory chips can you remove one and try?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

changed video card also and disabled L2 cache in bios, will try changing ram and see if that brings any joy, thanks for the tip .... will let you know

many thanks
    Doni

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you also done a format of the hard drive, or at the very least run some form of a disk check? It sounds like a disk error is causing the problem; it could be bad sectors on the drive.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Success!!!!! I had to change some of the bios settings <turned off cache> install took a very very long time. I was able to turn settings back on and install is running smooth now ..... Thanks a heap for all your help :-)

Doni