New Lounger
    Thanks

False 'new hardware' msgs., etc.

I'm running Windows Me with 512 megs. of RAM on a Soyo SY-6VBA 133 mobo with a Leadtek GeForce2 Winfast Titanium video card, a Soundblaster Audigy sound card & 2 Maxtor HDs. For the life of me, I don't know what I did to cause all the fol. things to happen at once, every time I reboot. Here are the problems:
    1. Every time I reboot I get 2 false "new hardware" msgs. from Windows, saying that Windows has discovered the fol. new hardware, but it's blank; no new hardware is listed. It does this twice & I have to click "cancel" each time in order to complete booting.
    2. The Google menu bar disappeared from my Internet Explorer & I can't re-install it. I go to the Google website & try to install it but it refuses to, saying it's due to an unknown error.
    3. My Norton Personal Firewall 2002 doesn't come on automatically at boot time anymore. The iemapp.exe program disappeared from my msconfg start menu so I have to go to the Norton folder to start it manually. I put a shortcut in my startup folder to start it that way.
    4. Some other programs in my mscnfg startup don't load anymore. I check their boxes but the next time I reboot the boxes are unchecked. One of these is Pest Patrol.
    5. My Norton Anti-Virus 2002 doesn't start with Auto-Protect & E-mail Scanning enabled anymore, so every time I boot I have to go in & start them manually.

These are the main things I can think of. Some of them don't even seem related. I can't figure out why all these would go wrong at once. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

-RMark

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: False 'new hardware' msgs., etc.

<hr>I have to click "cancel" each time in order to complete booting<hr>
    Try letting Windows search for the drivers. Even if they aren't found, Windows should tag the hardware as unknown and quit asking you.

This may be the reason that all your startup programs aren't loading properly too. Did you change any BIOS settings?
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanx for your reply. The only BIOS setting I changed was the secondary IDE slave port from "Auto" to "LRB" or "URB" or something like that because it seemed to help it load faster (I have a CD burner on my secondary master IDE port & an older Maxtor HD on the slave.) I think I've let Windows search for the drivers & ended up with some sort of error msg., but I'll try again, just in case, & see what happens.

New Lounger
    Thanks

More info:
    When I let Windows search for the software for the nonexistent new hardware, I got the fol. msg. after it finished its search:
    "Windows was unable to locate the software for this device. If you do not want to install the software now, click Finish."
    When I clicked Finish, the fol. bar appeared in the middle of the screen:
    "EnumSCSITDK____CDRW4800B____SMF&CHILD0001&PCI&VEN _1106&DEV_0571&SUBSYS_000..."
    And then below that appeared the fol.:
    "SURegCreateKey failed!"
    When the 2nd software search msg. came up & it finished searching & I clicked Finish, the fol. bar appeared:
    "EnumESDIGENERIC_IDE_DISK_TYPE80_..."
    (The "..." means that what followed is the same as what's in the first menu bar from the "MF&CHILD.." on to the end. And then after this bar I got the same "SURegCReateKey failed!" msg. again. That's it.

RMark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

System Restore might solve some of the problems. Also, if you have Norton Utilities, run WinDoctor.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanx for the reply. I'll try WinDoctor. My System Restore doesn't seem to work.
    Oh, & BTW: that BIOS change I mentioned was from Auto to User, NOT LRB or whatever. What I meant there was LBA, but that comes at the end of the line. I changed it back to Auto but it didn't help.
    -RMark