Star Lounger
    Thanks

Moving to Norton AV 2002

I have a performance question: I'm working on a Gateway laptop running an Intel Pentium 2, 233 processor with 32 MB of RAM. When I installed Norton AV several years ago, I noticed that it really slowed things down. Now Norton tells me that it no longer supports my old version of AV and that I need to update to its 2002 version. My question is, being someone who knows very little about computers, should I make the move to the latest version of Norton AV, and, if I do, will it slow my computer down to a crawl? I just want an antivirus program that continues to protect me and not a new system. Any advice/suggestions? Thanks in advance,
    ATL

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Moving to Norton AV 2002

What's your old version of NAV?

NAV 2003 is the latest version, tho you might be able to find NAV 2002 at zero cost, after rebates, depending on where you live. Staples was having such a sale last month.

The more recent versions of NAV have better email and script blocking, so it does pay to upgrade.

When you do upgrade, disable the NAV Office plug-in but enable the NAV AutoProtect.

Your computer may be slow because 32MB just won't do it for the newer versions of Office and some other apps.

If you intend to use the computer for any length of time, visit http://www.crucial.com and get more memory, it really makes a difference. Best to max out the coumputer's memory.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Do a search on this forum for AVG. There was a thread not too long ago where people were very happy with this free antivirus program.
    Cheers,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

And further to Phil's post, here a link to the Grisoft AVG page. Be aware however, that Grisfot's AVG handles only Exchange, Outlook and Eudora email clients (you didn't say which you use). Their support folks some time ago said they were working on a standalone POP mail scanning program, but as of now I still don't see anything on their site, including the FAQ which still says the above. AVG is a good, easy to use and FREE virus catcher!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought it supported Netscape also. Oh, well.