Thread: Mouse failure

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mouse failure

A friend called me, his "expert", about his mouse that stopped working. Old mouse was PS/2 with USB adapter (came that way from Gateway) running on Win 98SE. Mouse suddenly stopped working, with pointer frozen at center of screen. Keyboard is also USB. He powered down, swapped mouse and KB USB connections. KB OK, mouse still NG. Powered down, removed USB adapter, plugged into PS/2 port. No luck. Bought a new "pure" MS Wheel PS/2 mouse which does not work in PS/2 port or USB port with adpater. Any clues?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mouse failure

Did your friend clean the original mouse?

Is keybord in same USB port?
    Does keyboard work?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried reinstalling & updating the mouse driver? I would also say to check that the PS/2 connector pins on the mouse lead aren't bent, but then if a different PS/2 mouse also doesn't work, that's that idea blown out of the water.

It's strange because in my experience, if there's anything in W98 that keeps going when every other application is crashing, it's the mouse cursor.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm interested in knowing why a USB mouse won't work in any USB port, while the USB keyboard will. Try to remove/reinstall/update your mouse drivers.

If that doesn't work, consider this: I know that in the BIOS settings of my IBM computer, I have to specifically tell it to be aware of a USB keyboard or mouse. I also need to disable the PS/2 mouse support if no PS/2 mouse will be present. Perhaps Gateway took the liberty of configuring the BIOS for USB mouse/keyboard, and disabled the PS/2 functionality. You might want to consider checking the BIOS settings in your computer; look around for anything relating to PS/2, USB, mouse or keyboard. Note: Making changes to your BIOS may prevent your computer from booting properly. Proceed with caution and at your own risk.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all the replies.
    Here is some clarification on original post. Yes, he cleaned mouse. Yes, he swapped KB and mouse USB. As stated, KB is fine, mouse still not working. He uninstalled old mouse in Device Mgr, powered down, connected new mouse and successfully installed sw from CD.
    The suggestion to check the BIOS makes the most sense to me, but I am reluctant to talk him through it over the phone (we live in different states) because he is a novice. I'll keep you posted.
    One final thought. Maybe we have two errors. PS/2 port is disabled in BIOS and adapter for USB is broken. Then a new PS/2 mouse would not work in either port!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Does your friend have a Serial Mouse he could try?
    Christopher Baldrey

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That was my first question to him. No. Unfortunately, he doesn't even have a neighbor with a computer with whom he can play swap and test. I may ask him to borrow his girlfriend's laptop and try both mice there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

News flash. Just spoke to him. He did borrow a serial mouse and it works!! Had him check the BIOS for any PS/2 disable settings and found none. Did find USB enable and some strange thing called "AMR funcrtion", which is disabled. What is that? Automatic Mouse Recovery? Never heard of it.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

AMR is for an Audio Modem Riser card, which some motheboards are designed to support. It's a little combo plug-in card that supplies....you guessed it, a modem. It's got nothing to do with a mouse but should be disabled if you don't have an AMR peripheral installed.
    -Mark