3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MS Security Bulletins

Based on Woody's recommendation, I subscribed to the MS security bulletin updates several months ago. I received these, went to the hotlinks in the email, applied patches etc. Several weeks ago, all the hotlinks started going to the MS website but all I got was a blank page. I have reset the security options back to "default" in IE6, but this makes no difference.

Has anyone else seen this or have any other suggestions ?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: MS Security Bulletins

I'm assuming you're using IE. Try emptying TIF and browsing history.

hth,
    Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the tip, but I do this ALL the time. It makes no difference to the problem.

Kevin

Administrator
    Thanks

Kevin, Have applied IE 6.0 SP-1? Maybe it will help.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Do you have any ad blockers or pop up stoppers software running. These can block the scripts that need to run when you get to the MS sites.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I do run Pop-Up Stopper but it is disabled when going to the MS sites.

Kevin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried to go to www.microsoft.com to DL SP1 but got a blank screen there also. I'm thinking of just re-installing IE6 to see if that helps. Then getting SP1 but if that doesn't work I am back to applying all of the existing security patches that I currently have.

Actually, I go to microsoft.com OK but when selecting Windows from the main selection on the list, I get a blank page with "Restricted Site" showing on the bottom right of the IE6 dialog box. I also notice that this behavior ONLY happens when going to the Windows support part of their website. If I select Office, Xbox or any other of the hotspots underneath the Windows hotspot then they all work OK. This has only happened in the last few weeks and used to work fine.

Kevin

Administrator
    Thanks

Kevins, That indicates that the Microsoft site is in your restricted security zone. Go to Tool | Internet Options. Then click on the security tab. Click on the restricted zone and then click sites. If there are one or more Microsoft sites there remove them. Restart IE and try again.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, thanks Joe. Ya know ...you were right...but I also know that I did not put "*.microsoft.com" in there, but removing it did fix the problem. I wonder what put it in there ?

Many thanks

Just installed IE6 SP1. Looks like it automatically installed Outlook Express (didn't ask me). When will MS stop this kind of high-handed action, do ya think ? Outlook Express was not in the Add/Remove list but a quick launch was installed on the tray!

Kevin

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"Looks like it automatically installed Outlook Express (didn't ask me). " because Outlook Express is part of IE, it always has been and will most likely will be as long it is around. In the past every time one updated IE the Outlook was updated at the same time. I have never seen just a OE update. It also has never been in the Add/Remove section of control panel.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

So, if I use Eudora and really do not want OE loaded is there a way to get rid of it ? Maybe this was the reason I used to use Netscape before <g>.

Kevin

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have seen NO way of getting rid of it. It is part of the OS. While back after the demo in the court room, there was a method of it being "removed" from Windows 98, but all it did was it hid the program and removed ALL visible links. It was and is still required to be there. Windows Explorer and a few others items use part of IE.

Even if you have Netscape the OS will still require the use of IE. This has been the backbone of the defence of MS in the court room, IE is required to be on the system.