Lounger
    Thanks

Can't join workgroup (2002)

I recently installed office xp and now can't join the workgroup for a secured database ( written in 2000) on the network.
    I have the front end on my hard drive and the workgroup is located on the server. When I try to join it tells me
    "can't open database registry". I can still join from any other computer that doesn't have xp. Any ideas?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Can't join workgroup (2002)

Do you have the database open when you are trying to joing the workgroup? It shouldn't make any difference, but . . .
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I've tried opening the front end and just opening through the back end on the server.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Have you tried copying the .MDW file to your local hard drive and trying to connect to it that way? And what operating system are you running - WindowsXP by chance? The error you are getting sounds a bit like a permissions issue with the OS registry - the path to the default .MDW file is stored in the registry. Another thing to try is using a shortcut with a command line switch to point to the network location of the .MDW file. Hope this gives you some ideas.
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes It's XP, everything still works fine for users still using 2000. I have copied the .mdw file to my hard drive, that didn't work either. I did read somewhere that you could have 2 files, so that you would only have to log in when you open through the shortcut to the secured database. Unfortunately I'm lost at this point, I don't code much. If I could point our administrator in the right direction maybe he can figure it out.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The way you do a desktop shortcut is as follows:
    <font color=blue>"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10MSACCESS.EXE" "F:YourFolderYourDatabase.mdb" /wrkgrp "F:YourFoldersystem.mdw"</font color=blue>
    where F:Yourfolder should be replaced by the appropriate network path. That way, even though Access is pointing to the local workgroup file, it will start the desired database using the correct workgroup file.

In the meanwhile, I suspect WindowsXP has been locked down to the point where you can't change the registry using your userID. So it is most probably an administration issue, and your network admins should be able to bump the priviledge of your userID up far enough to let you make the necessary changes. Either that or have them login as administrators, and make the necessary changes in your registry environment. The registry path should be something they can easily find. Hope this gets you going.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's never a good idea to secure a database with a file named System.mdw, so I would suggest you give your workgroup file a distinctive name that will enable you to tell it apart from the default System.mdw and will allow then to coexist in the same directory if necessary. Shortcuts pointing to the mdw are the best way to handle getting it correct.
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I was able to use the shortcut and get access and I'll change my workgroup name that makes good sense.