Thread: bcc (2000 SR1)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

bcc (2000 SR1)

When emailing to a group of people I have for a long time sent or forwarded email using the
    H Lewton

Thanks

Re: bcc (2000 SR1)

I assume you are using your Contacts folder and an ISP account rather than a Global Address List and an Exchange Server...

What do you usually put in the To box when you send the message?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Yes I am using the Contacts Folder and an ISP account from an always on line cable connection.

I don't put anything in the "To:" line when I send email this way, I only use the "Bcc:" line.
    H Lewton

Thanks

I don't know if Outlook is adding it or your ISP. Some servers won't accept, or will treat as junk, mail with a blank To field or a To field that doesn't contain an actual address (I think it looks for the pattern word@word.word). Perhaps that is why it is being added.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Following up on what JScher posted, I tried several tests with different accounts, ISPs, OL2K, OE6, web mail, etc. Every single message came back with a different version of the To: field! So even sending from the same client (OE6) using the same ISP, the To: field was slightly different. But the message headers were fairly consistent depending on which mail client I used, and OL2K did exactly the same thing that you saw. And I'm fairly certain we have different ISPs. If you have that account set up in OE6 (assuming you installed it), you could test from there and see if the result is any different.

I suspect that different mail clients create the message headers differently according to how they implement SMTP, and possibly with some variation depending on the mail server they connect to.

HTH

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks guys. It probrbly is Road Runner (my ISP) filling in the "To:" for me. I never thought of that.
    H Lewton

Thanks

I was thinking about how you might address your message, and I had this flashback to the movie Barfly, where a perpetually drunk Mickey Rourke lifts his glass and starts a toast, "To all my friends." Priceless.

But I don't recommend putting "friends" anywhere in the e-mail header (address or subject line) as most spam filters will toss 'em right out. Using one's own name and address appears to be the safest approach.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

jscher2000,

Using one's own name and address appears to be the safest approach. I think you are right but I think it just recently started happening with my ISP. If I use OE6 as another post suggested it says it is to
    H Lewton