New Lounger
    Thanks

ODBC Information (Acc V2K)

I have a MS Acc2K database with ORACLE 8.1.6 tables linked in which require the user to enter their ORACLE user name and password at login.

I am wondering is there a way to programatically find the username and password supplied by the user when logging in. This is the same as double clicking a linked table which, the odb driver then prompts for the user anme and password. This is the information I wish to gather. If there is a way to do this without creating my own login screen then this would be good.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: ODBC Information (Acc V2K)

I don't use Oracle ODBC tables, but in SQL Server the driver has the option of specifying a user name that is always used on a given connection, so that no server-level prompt is given. Check and see if the Oracle driver you are using has the same feature. Otherwise you would have to resort to code based on a lookup table to establish the connection, which is certainly doable.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell

The oracle driver does have the option of specifying the username and password. Unfortunatly this is not what I want.

I actually want the users to login as I am using ORACLE security on the tables. I have groups set on the ORACLE database and each user belongs to a group. This is beacuse the users can use other products to access the database. I control the security in Access based on the Oracle group a user belongs to.

The client does not want us to code in the username and password where we use a direct connection in MS Access code to the oracle database. So I am trying to find a way to capture the password the user used when prompted by the ODBC driver. By the way I did not design it this way. I am just a programmer on this job.

Any one with any ideas would be appreciated.

Peter Thiele

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It sounds like about the only options would be to either do your own security facility with Access, or use the Access security model and create a lookup table to map the Oracle security model to the Access model. I suspect you could use the same names; if so you can use the CurrentUser() function to get the Access/Oracle user name. However the password is a significant challenge. It seems you would have to store the password in the table as well if you were to dynamically make the connection to Oracle, and that doesn't seem very secure. This is one of the issues that pushed us to SQL Server, since it's security model maps directly to the WinNT userid and password when you use the Integrated security model.

In any event, how does the client propose to deal with the situation where someone starts the database, then goes off and someone else steps in and uses their PC? That's one we've never been able to solve without a draconian logoff procedure and a system equipped with 1 minute lock on the screen saver. Just out of curiousity, what OS is the client using?
    Wendell