Thanks

Re: *New*MS Virtual Machine

I didn't get a security bulletin, so it's hard to tell what has changed - except to fix a bug involving the use of MAYSCRIPT rather than mayscript in a Turkish locale:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q287/0/30.asp>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/q287/0/30.asp</A>

I think I'll stick with build 3319 until there's a better reason to change. If you have a build prior to 3319 (you can check by dropping to a DOS prompt and running:

jview | more

and checking the build number on the first line of the screen), you probably should install the latest version to resolve some security issues.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

*New*MS Virtual Machine

I see where Microsoft has a new build of Virtual Machine build #3802. I was wondering if anyone has downloaded it yet and how it has performed for them?

Anyone who would like to upgrade their version of VM can download @

Edited 01/02/27 by KB MacKenzie to add URL tags
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.microsoft.com/java/vm/dl_vm40.htm>http://www.microsoft.com/java/vm/dl_vm40.htm</A>
    Just make sure you pick the correct version for your OS as two are listed.

MS claims that they have fixed all the bugs in the earlier versions of Virtual Machine in this new build.

If anyone has downloaded and used VM build 3802 I sure would be interested in any comments you may have or comments in general about MS Virtual Machine Java.

BTW, I really appreciated all the input I received on my SR1 & SR2 updates Post for Word97.....Thanks to all who responded!

Regards,
    Jeff T.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

jscher2000

Thanks for your input on VM.......I appreciate it.

JeffT.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jeff

I installed the new VM two weeks ago and everything seems to be working fine (to be honest, don't really know how to tell if it was causing problems). Just thought I'd put my two cents worth in.

BTW, you can check which version you've got through System Information utility by clicking on the Internet Explorer section - don't have to use the DOS command suggested (which incidentally didn't work for me when I tried it).

Gladys

Thanks

The
    <pre>| more
    </pre>

redirection makes a mess of it, but jview (by itself) should run and return results like this:
    <pre>Microsoft Command-line Loader for Java Version 5.00.3319
    Copyright Microsoft Corp 1996-2000. All rights reserved.

Usage: JView [options] <classname> [arguments]

Options:
    /? displays usage text
    /cp <classpath> set class path
    /cp <path> prepend path to class path
    /cp:a <path> append path to class path
    /n <namespace> namespace in which to run
    /p pauses before terminating if an error occurs
    /v verify all classes
    /d:<name>=<value> define system property
    /a execute AppletViewer
    /vst print verbose stack traces (requires debug classes)
    /prof[ptions] enable profiling (/prof:? for help)

Classname:
    .CLASS file to be executed.

Arguments:
    command-line arguments to be passed on to the class file
    </pre>

The build is the nnnn in the 5.00.nnnn

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Whoa, Sorry about the size of that screen shot - my first attempt at attaching something like that - will try to do better next time....am just a [img]/w3timages/icons/baby.gif[/img] in this forum thing. (am planning to become much more adept and maybe even an expert in something, you never know )[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks

Check out <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=free&Number=11370&page=0&vi ew=expanded&sb=5>Hardcopy</A> amongst others in Software Finds for quick'n'easy ways to grab a small section of your screen.
    Otherwise, I think MS PhotoEditor and Paint will allow you to crop an image fairly easily.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

[img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img]I have to confess that I didn't read the first instructions properly and tried to enter jview | more in the run command from the start menu [img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img] I'm soooo embarassed! Guess I've been away from using DOS too long. Have now run it from a real DOS prompt and it works as indicated. Sorry for casting doubt upon this issue.

for anyone not wanting to use DOS, have attached a screen shot (I think) of where you can find this same information in sysinfo.

Gladys
    Attached Images Attached Images

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Leif,
    My problem here was not so much how to handle the screen shot itself but how it would end up looking on the forum since you can't actually see the results of your file attachment in the preview screen. I guess I should have used the test area first to get a feel for how things translate into the forum windows. Will play in there a bit before trying something like this again.

Have now edited previous message to include a smaller version of the screen shot.
    Gladys