5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

CPU usage / Priorities

I set the Task Manager to run and show CPU usage in the system tray. It seems that even when I am using the computer to run multiple programs (Access, Outlook, Excel, network, etc.) I only see about 2-4% of the CPU being utilized. Printing operations tend to spike the usage, but that is pretty much it. I don't know if this is typical to have the OS 'hold back' (?) so much processor power, especially when I am running database updates or excel workbook recalculations that would benefit considerably from using more CPU cycles. A couple of times I have gone into the 'Processes' listing and upgraded the Priority for certain jobs and was able to improve the running speed considerably -- though it was still rare to get the jobs to use more than 10%. Note that the vast majority of the time, 'System Idle Process' is accounting for 98-99% of my CPU usage.

What would be considered 'normal'? This is while using a 1.8G processor with 128Mb RAM.

Also... As I stated, when I do switch priorities for some jobs I get a nice boost in performance for the job. Is there some way to always run an application, such as Access, in a higher priority?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: CPU usage / Priorities

David, You probably need to add RAM to your system. 128MB is considered the bare minimum by most people for Win2k. Your CPU will be used as much as it can to do any task. The OS does not hold back processor power. With the RAM you have if the databases or spreadsheets are of any size you'll spend much more time doing pagefile IO than using the CPU. There is always much more 'idle' time ona computer system than people believe. That is the theory behind the several co-operative computing projects around.

Joe
    Joe

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I wouldn't be looking for high CPU usage either, as Joe stated - low CPU utilization is a Good Thing and is the result of good engineering.

You can enable high priority for your runtime applications by modifying the shortcut - but before you do that, you need to enable it via the registry. Or, better yet, use X-Setup to enable it for you. You can also tune your system for more performance to foreground applications by following the guidelines at http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/877/. As a last toy for you, I've attached a registry modification (with the extension changed to TXT) that will add the runtime classes to your context menu.

HTH,
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was able to use X-Setup to enable the context menu 'Start High priority', but I couldn't find any references to setting a high priority option within shortcuts. I think that I have what I need anyway, giving a high priority to the foreground process, and it wouldn't be too common to need a background process to have high priority.