Ian Canberra

word 2000 line spacing

Having used Word 2000 for some months it has suddenly started to space the lines of the LAST page (or the first page if only one) to occupy the whole page.eg if there are three lines they appear at the top, centre and bottom and five lines are spaced at 20%. The spacing gets progressively closer as more lines are added until the spacing for the designated style is reached, whereupon the phenomenon starts occurring on the next page. An example is attached

I have checked Style and the Normal template and the para spacing is set to zero.

Textbooks offer no help. Has anyone come across this before?

As a new "lounger", I am impressed with the quality of the help available.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: word 2000 line spacing

I dont really know what is causing the different spacing (it seems to be paragraph spacing rather than line spacing) but if you go to Page Setup, and on the Layout Tab change Vertical Alignment to Top.

That should fix the problem - it did on my Word 97.

Regards

Andrew C

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ian if you go to Page Setup (File Menu), Layout Tab, you will find that vertical spacing is justified. Change to Top and you will be ok.[img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Ian Canberra

Many thanks, Andrew and Mike. It worked like magic. The only concern I have is why it happened in the first place. It has only been showing the phenomenon for the last couple of days, but Page Setup now seems to default to "Justified", which is clearly the setting causing the problem. Is there a permanent solution?

I must say that I am impressed with the quality and speed of the feedback. Thank you both again

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Ian,

Try locating and opening your Normal.dot template, and making the change in there. This would probably fix things globally.

Gary