Star Lounger
    Thanks

SlowShowingFolderContents using File/Open Database

When using the standard common dialog from Access to, for example, open a new database, (simply File..., Open Database... from the menu bar, not adding a common dialog control to a form)it can take ages (a few minutes sometimes!) to display the contents of a folder. It only happens when I have at least one or two other databases open and I can usually solve it by closing one of them.

I'm on a Novell Netware v5.1 (SP 1A) network, running NT4 Workstation, on Service Pack 5 - fast PC (PIII 733) with plenty of RAM (256Mb).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SlowShowingFolderContents using File/Open Database

This seems to be a "feature" of mixing Novell and NT. I see the same kind of behavior on our Novell network at work when there is heavy traffic on the server--even though I'm not looking at network drives. I don't recall running into this on a pure NT network. You can talk to your network administrator and see whether they're using the Novell client or the Microsoft client, which might make a difference, but there isn't anything you can do about it in Access.

Here's a knowledgebase article that might apply <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q173/8/15.ASP>Q173815</A>
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SlowShowingFolderContents using File/Open Database

Thanks - this is very useful information. Our network administrators are unconvinced that this is even a problem!