Star Lounger
    Thanks

Auto Text (Word XP)

I am trying to auto text a symbol (i.e., the small box). I have blocked it and saved it a couple of different ways but it does not work. Do symbols not work with auto text?

Thanks

Re: Auto Text (Word XP)

In Word 2000, I was able to save the Wingdings checkmark and the Symbols "club" (as in the club on playing cards) as AutoText entries.

Some of the boxes in the Symbol character set might not really be boxes; they might be invalid characters represented as boxes. Try using one of the Wingdings boxes and see if that works better.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay, I will try that and see what happens. Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay, this is what I did. I want to save a "box" so I found the square in Wingdings and I copied it and made it the size I want and tried to create the auto text, I named it "boxx", when I type boxx it won't take it, it just tells me I spelled it wrong but if I go to Auto text insert and choose boxx it places the square in my document? Ideas?

Thanks

If I understand correctly, you typed boxx followed by a space. If you want Word to automatically replace that code with something else, you need to use AutoCorrect instead of AutoText. To convert AutoText codes to results press F3 at the end of the code. (There are other ways, such as pressing tab at a certain point, but unless you see a tooltip showing that Word recognizes the code and is ready to expand it, I don't think those other methods work.) Does this make sense?