New Lounger
    Thanks

Corrupted mdb file (Access 2k)

Opening an .mdb file generates "msaccess.exe has generated errors and will be closed. ..." followed by "Cannot find the file 'xxxx' or one of its components. Make sure path and filename are correct and that all libraries are available." where 'xxxx' is the path of the mdb file being opened.

The second message appears misleading because the background window has the proper form label in its header, but Access crashes before the form loads. File set to compact on closing. Repeat of 'compact and repair' does nothing.

Anyone know how to recover this file?

Steve

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Corrupted mdb file (Access 2k)

If you can't open it, and if you do a compact and repair with no database open and that doesn't fix it, about the only alternative left is to try to import all the objects into a new database. However you might see if by chance you are experiencing some sort of code error. Try holding down the shift key while opening the database and see if the database will open that far.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell,

Many thanks for your reply. I was indeed able to open the mdb file with your Shift down suggestion.

I have not isolated the specific cause of the problem, but a code error does seem most likely. All table and queries are in order. One form appears to harbor the problem. I am using a disconnected recordset to populate controls on the form. I am suspicious that a particular combination of the state of this recordset and/or the original connection to the tables has inappropriately altered or deleted pointers within the mdb file which are saved when the file is closed. The opening error message suggests the file cannot find itself or some of its components. In this case it seems unable to find the 'corrupt' form or its code list.

Where is the 'Shift" feature documented?

Again, many thanks ....

Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The Shift key bypasses the startup settings of the database, so any autoexec macro or startup form are not loaded. Look up the AllowBypassKey property in online help.
    Charlotte