Lounger
    Thanks

Replication (Access (97))

Can anyone recommend a replication utility that will allow me to store one copy of a database on one server and the master copy on another, and sync the two every hour or so? Is the tool within Access for replication a good one, or should I look for a different utility for around the same price of the developer's edition of Access that might work better? I hear there are some latency problems with the Jet DB Engine...

Thanks in Advance

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Replication (Access (97))

I don't know of any other replication tools for Access 97 beside the standard tools, but you may have significant problems in getting a copy of replication manager as it was a part of the Office 97 Developer product, and is no longer available through normal channels. As to the latency issue, unless your database is VERY large, the process typically only takes a few minutes across a LAN. On the other hand if you are doing it across dial-up connections, it can take a good half-hour. A final question - if you are running on a LAN, why do you want to use replication?
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks

My reason for wanting to replicate is because the server in the building I'm in is succeptible to brown-outs and millisecond breaks in communication. Access 97 evidently doesn't handle these well at all. It seems that we're having to repair a database once a week. So, I figured if we stored a replica on another (more secure) server then when a break in transmission happens, it would switch to the replica copy until the master can be repaired. This way users could still log in and work in the db, and I could just sync them after repairing. Let me know if my logic is screwed up here anywhere...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Unfortunately, replication won't solve your problem, as it works essentially as a batch process run every few hours, and the data in a replica would not be current. What you should probably really have is SQL Server if you are looking for greater reliability. And you are correct - Jet based databases do not like brownouts. The installation of a UPS would be the first step I would look at. And it should carry both the server and the network hub. In addition, the workstation should have a UPS on it if you are doing database updating from it. Obviously it involves some cash expenditures, but any other solution I know of (including SQL Server) would involve more expense than a UPS. If you only have two or three users, you might be able to get by with the MSDE in Access 2000 or 2002, but even there if you are having power problems, things will tend to be flakey. Sorry to discourage you - if anyone else thinks replication might actually help the situation, please post your thoughts.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, but replication doesn't work that way. You're thinking of something more like mirroring on the server rather than replication. Replication is a method of syncing data and design changes between a parent replica, either a design master or a later generation replica, and the replicas created from it. It isn't going to do anything but sit there and sulk if you have a brownout and lose your connection to a replica.
    Charlotte