Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Space before in Word styles

Version Word 2000, no SR

I have a style defined in my template as 6 points before and 6 points after with Line spacing set as single.

In documents that use this template, paragraphs using this style have no space before. If I increase the space before then space begins to appear before the paragraph.

I have played around with the settings and discovered that this phenomonem affects other styles as well. In the template itself all seems well.

TIA for any assistance,

David

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Space before in Word styles

Have you tried redefining this style with a different name to see if the problem remains? Sometimes I have found it most helpful to simply delete a bizarre acting style and rebuild it.[img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks

First, get and install SR-1! It fixes major bugs. This may be one of them.

I don't understand what you are saying when you type:
    "paragraphs using this style have no space before." after having told us that the style is defined as 6 points before and 6 points after.

Are you saying that you can't see any space before?

... that when you look at the paragraph formatting it doesn't show any space before?

That the phenomenon appears in other styles isn't surprising. Are they all "based on" one style?

To quickly check the formatting of any paragraph and its source, try Shift-F1 and then click on the paragraph. (Use the Esc key or Shift-F1 again to get out of this "What's This?" mode.)

Sorry that I've got more questions than answers.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for responding. I am finally downloading SR1a as I type.

In answer to your further queries: even though it is defined as 6 pts before, this is ignored on screen and in print. In Shift F1 the 6 pts before are there.

The styles are based on Normal.

Thanks,

David

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it but it didn't work...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

There is an off chance that your problem might be caused by compatibility issues. Try Tool|Options and select the compatibility tab and look at the settings that are checked. It might shed some light.

AC

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have observed that space before as a Style parameter is suppressed in all paragraphs which are either at the top of a page or immediately follow a paragraph which has a style parameter with space after.

The space before appears whenever you explicitly specify a different space before setting using Format-Paragraph or you explicitly suppress the space below of the preceding paragraph in the same way.

An example of Word's "intelligence" I suppose.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I get the same thing. It appears to me that if a style that has space above is underneath one that has space below, only the larger amount is calculated. In other words, if one style follows another, Word assumes that you don't want the distance added to each other, but only want the larger amount. Compatibility options do not seem to affect this.

If you want to test this, create 2 styles called before48 & after48. Put space before & after at 48 points respectively (hence the name). You will not get 96 points of space between them; you'll only get 48. (More intelli-cents at work).

BAM

Hi David,

Before Word 2000 this automatically functioned they way you would expect: Word would use the spacing in both styles.

I suspect this was changed due to HTML compatibility and the web integration "features" of O2K.

Go to Tools/Options/Compatibility and turn on "Don't use HTML paragraph auto spacing".
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In Word 97, if you defined a style with space above and another identical in all respects except with no space above, then applying the first style to a para would cause the other style to be automatically applied wherever the space above occurred after a "space below" style or at the top of a page. You could always change this manually like undoing an AutoCorrect, but that choice seems to have disappeared in Word 2000 so we are now at the mercy of Word's "intelligence".

BAM

Hi Rajesh,

I'm sorry, but I'm not following you here.

Are you talking about Tools/AutoCorrect/AutoFormat as you Type and "Define Styles based on your formatting"?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, I am just drawing an analogy for how it seems to work.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Space before in Word styles: THE SOLUTION

Muchas gratitude to BAM for the solution:

Go to Tools/Options/Compatibility and turn on "Don't use HTML paragraph auto spacing".

I don't have everyone's e-mail addresses but I am truly grateful to you all, and of course to the Woody's staff as well.

David

Star Lounger
    Thanks

W97, Win98SE

This comes up for me a lot, and I thought I was just going crazy. I learned I could fix it manually, but does anyone have a (macro?) solution for this in W97?

Thanks, Dave

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Dave

Simply record a macro with a convenient keyboard shortcut assigned, which will make for the current paragraph Format-Paragraph-Space Above = 0.

You may get a lot of code this way; just delete all that is unwanted.

Run this macro wherever you want to eliminate the space above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast