2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Possible Virus?? (Outlook 2000)

This morning in my email I had a message QXX8296.exe and there was a paper clip to the left of it. I clicked on it once to high light it to delete it as I suspected it my be a virus. I deleted it and a popup window came up sayin there was not enough memory to start QXX8296.exe. Now everytime I boot there is a message that an exe program can not be started because there is not enough memory. Each time it lists a different program in the popup window. Some of the listed programs are RH32A6.exe, ZGV9145.exe, ZTT96.exe. When I do a Find Search, I can not find these programs on my computer. Any thoughts would be helpful..Thanks, JohnL

Thanks

Re: Possible Virus?? (Outlook 2000)

Do you use the Preview Pane? It may be that even right-clicking a message will cause the Preview Pane to try to load the attachment. This could be related to the IFRAME vulnerability that allows the Klez virus to spread.

First, you should scan your computer with up-to-date antivirus software. Do you have some? If not, use the HouseCall online scanner from Trend Micro. You might need to clean your PC a bit. Let us know if you need help with that. Note: It is pretty critical that the scanner not delete or attempt to clean any .PST files, or your Outlook problems may become much more severe!

Second, you should make sure that you have applied the patch to resolve the IFRAME problem. The simplest way to do this is to apply the latest cumulative patch for Internet Explorer 5.01/5.5/6.0. (Even if you do not use IE for web browsing, Outlook uses it to render HTML mail). See August 2002, Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer (Q323759).

Third, you should make sure that Outlook is in the Restricted Zone. Check Tools|Options..., Security tab, Zone = Restricted sites. If you click the Zone Settings button, then you want everything that can be set to Disable to be set to Disable, and all that can be set to high security set that way.

Once your computer is "safe" again, right-click one of those suspicious messages and look at the Reply-to path. If these are messages generated by the Klez virus, this usually is the victim who is sending you the virus. (The From is typically another victim or random information.) But again, this is a bit of speculation on my part.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A big thank you. As I suspected my computer had come down with a cold. I backed up the important information, then reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled the operating system and the other programs. I also went out and purchased Norton Anti Virus (should have done it years ago!) and installed and updated it for future protection. The infomation I backed up to floppies was scanned for virus and came up clean. I will followup with your other suggestions. I appreciate the trouble you went to to assist me. Thanks again, John

Thanks

Wow, a reformat, you don't mess around. Good luck from here on out.