2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

mobile IDE hard drive

I am thinking of putting my backup IDE hard drive into a 5

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: mobile IDE hard drive

I use mobile racks ALWAYS, on every machine. Got into the habit at the place I work several years ago and wouldn't be without 'em. You DO have to be careful what you buy though because of incompatibility from one model or brand to the next. In this day and age, I would recommend buying those that are SPECIFICALLY "rated" for higher speed drives, i.e. 5,400 or 7,200 rpm. The older ones we used to buy would fail or act strangely when we started using "newer" drives. As you probably know, the length of IDE cables is limited so you have to sometimes be careful to think about the additional few inches in overall length that you're adding to the process, given the cable stub inside the rack. Sounds silly, but it CAN bite ya! I also have had a problem with THIS Intel motherboard (SE440BX2) until I swapped my two IDE cables for the 80-wire variety. Using 40-wire cables, the mobo would sometimes fail to get the drives right on boot up. I ALWAYS boot a system the first time after removing and inserting one or more drive trays with a Win98-created "DOS" diskette. Then, if there's stuff on the drives, I do a DIR command to make sure the BIOS has 'em all laid out correctly. This sporadic problem may be completely isolated to this motherboard, but I just thought I'd point it out.

Good luck and post back if there's any questions we can answer!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: mobile IDE hard drive

For $60 US or less you can buy a "box" that lets you turn your internal HDD into an external / portable one. Best Buy and Directron.com have them. You have the choice of USB, USB 2.0 and on some units FireWire connections.