New Lounger
    Thanks

Reapply Service Release after Detect & Repair? (All)

Do you need to reapply Office service releases after doing a Detect and Repair from within Office (or a repair reinstallation from the original CD)?

In other words, when you do a Detect and Repair, it asks you to reinsert the original CD. Does that overwrite any files added by previously-applied service releases?

Thanks

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reapply Service Release after Detect & Repair? (All)

I guess if you are doing a detect and repair from an original CD, you probably will need to re-apply any patch you previously put in. A detect and repair from a CD picks up files from the CD to "fix" the damaged file from your installation. Since the file from the CD is static, it will not have any of the updates you have applied.

New Lounger
    Thanks

That would be my logic as well, but after trying to solve an Outlook problem by running a Detect & Repair, I am unable to reinstall the Service Release.

As soon as I try to run Office 2K SR-1a, I get a message saying that I have already installed the patch, at which point the Service Release installer terminates.

On the other hand, if you try to run the Detect & Repair by pointing the system to O2KSR1aDL (downloaded version of the patch) instead of the original Office 2K CD, the Detect & Repair will not run...

Lounger
    Thanks

Do you know which file was repaired? If the repaired file is not one of the files SR-1a replaced, perhaps the service release doesn't have to be re-applied.

New Lounger
    Thanks

This is the part that is truly strange...

I originally ran the Detect & Repair from within Outlook (Help|Detect & Repair) in an effort to solve a problem involving Nelson Email Organizer, an Outlook add-in. Outlook was working just fine as a stand-alone, but NEO was generating the following error message: "Outlook timed out while opening a message (Method=CreateOleObject)." When the Detect & Repair didn't fix the problem, the NEO tech support person asked me to do a full Repair|Reinstall from the original Outlook CD (which incidentally didn't solve the NEO problem either, but that's another story).

It's my understanding that a full Repair|Reinstall from the original CD reinstalls EVerything. In other words, it detects which components you selected in your original installation, and reinstalls all of them, writing over the files on your hard disk with the files from the CD. In that case, you'd think you'd clearly need to reinstall the Service Release.

However, when I try to reapply the Service Release now, the installer halts before it starts, telling me that SR1a has already been installed on my system.

If the full Repair|Reinstall wrote over the top of all of my files with files from the original CD (an assumption), then I'd think the Service Release would clearly need to be reapplied...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

HOW IT WORKS:
    First of all, when you run "Detect and Repair" utility, it checks for missing and corrupted files only. "Reinstall" option replaces all files with new copies from original source (CD or network).
    Then, Windows Installer upgrades all files that was previously upgraded (it keeps copies of all upgrades in WindowsInstaller folder).
    Second, in both cases Registry entries are not checked or deleted. Another words, you have exactly the same installation as it was before (if you don't change options, of course).
    If you want COMPLETELY remove and make fresh installation of Office, you need to use a special utility:
    Utility to Completely Remove Remaining Office 97 Files and Registry Entries
    OFF2000: How to Completely Remove Microsoft Office CD1
    OFF2000: How to Completely Remove Microsoft Office CD2
    If you want eliminate Office updates as well, you must delete corresponding Installer files (.msi) in your WindowsInstaller folder.
    Third, if you have a problem with add-in, try to completely remove and install add-in first. Check also, is your version of NEO compatible with your version of Office and Windows. Most likely, the cause of your problem is your Internet Explorer security settings (Outlook is deeply integrated with IE).

I hope, now you have some ideas how it works.