New Lounger
    Thanks

AutoRecover File Location (2000)

I have a laptop user who is locking up in Word 2000 when Word attempts to save the autorecover file.
    Currently, we have this location set up for a network location. We are on Windows 2000.
    When the laptop user goes offline (not on the network), the lockup occurs.

How does Word behave when the network location is not available? My thoughts on this is that it would save the autorecover file to Cocuments and SettingsusernameApplication DataMicrosoftWord which is the local copy of the network
    location.

Is this true?

Thanks in advance for any help
    Jennifer

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: AutoRecover File Location (2000)

Although I can't answer your question per se, thinking laterally, would it not be better to have the autorecover file saved locally (so Word doesn't lock up) with a routine to copy these files to the network when it's available if it's important that they are on the network? I assume you have some sort of login procedure to access the network, so a copy procedure should be feasible ...

HTH
    Beryl M

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: AutoRecover File Location (2000)

Hi Jennifer:
    The default location for autorecover files was the temp directory. I believe that changed to the Application Data folder for Word 2000. However, if you override that setting in Tools/Options/File Locations, Word will use that setting. However, it does not adjust if that folder is not available. You will either get an error message or a lockup. Once you specify a location, Word will not change it based on whether your online or not. It does not take the place of frequent full saves.

Cheers,