New Lounger
    Thanks

New Menu submenu disappears

I've created new menus in Outlook that display submenus with my most-frequent email correspondents. But the new menus and the submenus disappear randomly. Anyone have a solution to this weirdness? Thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: New Menu submenu disappears

no, but make a copy of the outcmd.dat file and use it to restore the menus when they dissappear.

preed

I have seen this. Usually this happens when Outlook terminates abnormally, or if you close Outlook and then restart it before MAPISP32.EXE has a chance to stop. As MaryJ said, back up your outcmd.dat file to restore these if lost. If they do disappear, you can usually prevent Outlook from overwriting those changes in the outcmd.dat file if you end the Outlook.exe and mapisp32.exe proicesses through Task Manager, then open Outlook again.

New Lounger
    Thanks

OK, I'll make a copy. Thanks for the advice.

New Lounger
    Thanks

This probably happens a lot. I've also noticed that Outlook keeps something running even after I think I've closed it. I then have to use task manager to close the instance of Outlook before it will display on the screen again. This retention of a working kernel seems to be a problem with other Office apps. Or am I just imagining this?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

you're not imagining it - mapi takes about 5 min to close unless you use exit and log off (file menu, corp mode only)

it may never exit if you use winfax or other program that access outlook, like a sync utility.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, this week it gets stranger. I had to reboot. The menus disappeared again, but I had a copy of outcmd.dat and that's ok. However, my accounts reverted to several weeks ago. A new email account just plain disappeared. ?