Thread: 'Groan'

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

'Groan'

This is a "terrible" board. I'm diabetic, and reading all the posts just makes me drool all over my keyboard and wish for the time I could eat any and everything!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Groan'

Poor Den. Why not give us a recipe for something you can eat?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you don't already have it you should look for:

Feast on a Diabetic Diet. by Gibbons, Euell ISBN 0449215652 June 1, 1983

Apparently its out of print but a number of web-sites report that they have it. There is a very good introduction which explains what diabetis is, and what it isn't and relates the challenges that Euell's brother had. Lots and lots of good recipies for the diabetic and non-diabetic alike. Every one should eat like a diabetic!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've got a number of diabetic cook books and have researched diabetes extensively. Don't have Gibbons, though (wasn't he the one who years ago was extolling natural foods--nuts, herbs, etc.?) I'll have to check it out.

My initial "groan" was a bit overstated. I've found that a diabetic diet can be a very tasty and filling one. I do the cooking for the family, so they've had to "come along," not without too much grumbling. My main focus is on restricting foods with high carbs. Even carbs. can vary greatly--some are digested quickly and move into the blood stream as quickly--others are more "time released." I read the labels on containers avidly. Somethings I do miss being able to "pig out"--pastas, breads, fried foods. But some of that stuff isn't good for you anyway.